Garmin Rally Power Meter Pedals: Look Road, Shimano Road & MTB

Ordered a pair of XC200 for my Canyon Lux SLX mountainbike.

Will get them tomorrow.

Anxious to try them out ! :slight_smile:

$769 US from MyBikeShop (as of today) for the 3ā€™s. I also have a shop discount I should be using here so $769 + $250 = 1,019 less discount.

boom.

1 Like

The comment

The comment at Garmin Rally Power Meter In-Depth Review (SPD/SPD-SL/LOOK KEO) | DC Rainmaker (and Rayā€™s response) suggests that you will still be missing some parts.

Love the GCN reference. :grin:

1 Like

SPD versions are too much for my blood (and I have concerns about the size of them for MTB), but Iā€™d be lying if I said I wouldnā€™t be keeping an eye out for discounts in the future.

Edit - Iā€™d also love to see some sort of bodge to have power enabled flats! (proper flats, not the little insert things) Iā€™m guessing it wont be too unlikely given itā€™s designed to be compatible with various bodies anyway.

*Product. Not an outstanding product. The review is of the same standard as usual, I hope.

As I mention in the video, Garmin are in contact and have already emailed again todayā€¦ Iā€™m clipping in and out to collect more data now. I hope thatā€™s what separates my reviews from a lot of others. At the end of the day all I want to know is ā€œIs this what theyā€™re claimingā€ā€¦ ALL the data I have so far indicates itā€™s not there in a few areas. Not just yet. Iā€™m happy to provide them the data in an effort for them to fix this. Iā€™ll do a follow up as soon as thereā€™s something to report here. I scanned the other reviews posted, none covered the specific use-case Iā€™m digging into. 1100W-1200W ainā€™t monster wattsā€¦ but it also has me wondering if itā€™s why pro teams arenā€™t on these metersā€¦ hmmmā€¦

Oh, and side note about the leaks. Thanks for those who respect that I (and Ray, etc) knew about this release but chose not to reply. Of course we knew this was coming.

15 Likes

Because they are not paid to. They are paid to ride Shimano 9100P and we all know how much you love thoseā€¦

1 Like

As for the single sided option, does anyone know which side is measuring power? Or can I simply choose myself?
Iā€™m thinking if itā€™s possible to combine my Stages Left with a XC100 on the right side, or maybe itā€™s just a bad idea?

I think the lack of replies either way (to confirm or dismiss) said enough! :laughing:

1 Like

Just as an FYI wiggle are applying their loyalty discount to these (sometimes they specifically exclude power meters and certain brands) so are 12% off - Ā£838.59 - if you have platinum.

1 Like

Itā€™s the left hand pedal which has power if you buy single sided. Sorry!

I think also because PM pedals are fundamentally a bit of a compromise. The benefit is having a PM you can easily switch between bikes, including rental bikes and older bikes which may have limited options to install a crank based PM. The down side is that the pedal is a pretty vulnerable place to put a PM, most (all?) of the PM pedals are at least somewhat thicker than a regular pedal so increase the chances of a pedal strike, and in some cases the PM pedals may not be as good at actually functioning as a pedal. I.e. The clicking in mechanism isnā€™t as good or as adjustable.

For most of us amateurs the benefits are real (I have lots of bikes and wheels with a whole array of different groupsets, and I also rent bikes regularly, or did pre covid when travel was a thing) and the negatives arenā€™t a show stopper (my livelihood doesnā€™t depend on being able to pedal through tight turns at high speeds, nor on not having a cleat pop out at 1500w on the Champs Elysees). For pros the benefits are minimal (they can have a PM on every bike) and the negatives are real.

2 Likes

There was this leak about a month agoā€¦

I just went to double check this and realised that itā€™s so long since I bought anything that Iā€™ve lost my discounts!

Ah yeah, thatā€™s why I was awaiting them. In the meantime, Iā€™ve found a GRX crankset in stock, so have pulled the trigger on that and the front derailleur to move a 105 4iiii to my gravel bike. Even with a new bottom bracket, cheaper than the rally conversion kit!

Unfortunately, there isnā€™t any way to bind the left and right sides together from different power meter companies. Also, a single-sided Rally/Vector kit is just the left side - leaving you with a double-left power meter. :wink:

Too bad. It was a long shot for sure. Thanks a lot for your answer Ray, you rock!

This seems to have been ā€œfixedā€ now - no discount applied anymore.

Got mine xc200ā€™s and installed them on my mtb.

A few pics too compare them with regular spd xtr pedals. They are bunkier, but look great !

Tommorow test ride on the Dutch trails ! :blush:

7 Likes

Ā£1000 for a pair of dual sided power meter pedals not ridiculous.
I am not sure I agree with that.

1 Like

UK pricing is interestingā€¦if Iā€™m understanding it correctlyā€¦

I can buy a pair of dual-sided XC200 from Wiggle for Ā£1059.99

Or ā€¦ I can buy a pair of dual-sided Vector 3 for Ā£659.99 (Wiggle again) plus the XC200 conversion kit for Ā£219.99, and get Keo and SPD compatibility for Ā£180 less than a new pair of XC200.

4 Likes