Garmin Rally Power Meter Pedals: Look Road, Shimano Road & MTB

All eyes on favero now, and what they can offer Shimano compatibility wise (particularly if they can offer similar dual spd-sl/ spd).

1 Like

What is interesting is the pricing of the conversion kits (if you already have Vector 3ā€™s). $200-$250.

1 Like

Wonder if favero get full stacking dynamics support Cycling Dynamics for Assioma Power Meter Pedals Released, New Pedal Bodies Too | DC Rainmaker

Which also makes it seem like not much has changed from the vector 3 if the pedal bodies are fully compatible

This is pretty compelling. The conversion process looks tedious but otherwise straightforward.

Yeah. Quote from Rayā€™s review:
ā€œGarmin doesnā€™t really see it as a ā€˜do this every weekā€™ kinda thing. Rather, they see it as a seasonal thingā€

Here is DC Rainmakerā€™s video as well:

Yeah, itā€™s not hard at all. The first time might be a bit confusing for some. But once youā€™ve done it once, itā€™s easy. I can pretty quickly do a full set in 3-5 mins consistently now. I think Iā€™ve done it like 1-2 times a day for the last few weeks moving pedals around.

1 Like

Any word on assioma rumored SPD-SL pedals?
As in, can we expect a slightly less expensive version of spd-sl power pedals soon-ish?

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious on this as well, although Iā€™ve gotten used to my LOOK style and donā€™t find them any better or worse once on the bike. The supplied XPEDO RC7 cleats can be a little slippery on some surfaces walking but actually riding theyā€™re fine for me.

I only say this because I see a lot of people not wanting power pedals until now because they didnā€™t come in Shimano variety, I just never found it a big deal myself

4 Likes

To me in not a big deal, but my current bike is using shimano pedals and the pm is on chainring.

My plan was to get pedals on the new bike im planning to get so i can kill 2 birds with one stone (I will need new pedals an pm), so it would be convenient if they can be both spd-sl

Thatā€™s good to hear. I watched your video and it seemed pretty doable. I think my main concern would be garminā€™s willingness to warranty any issues they come up as the parts wear from repeated conversions/user error during said conversions.

You could sell the existing PM and just run the same pedals on both bikes, I donā€™t know how the Garmin ones are but Favero are literally 1 minute swap bike to bike and no settlement time needed, install them, calibrate, ride.

1 Like

good to knowā€¦
I usually dont deal with pedals once they are installedā€¦

I could give my wife the old pm so she has one for her indoor rides!

not horrible idea

1 Like

Thatā€™s the beauty of pedals, they can move bike to bike in a jiffy, AND youā€™ll be using the same power meter on both bikes for more consistency. One of my friends is adamant on SL pedals so I think heā€™s going to sell the stages/P2M power meters on 3 of his bikes and buy 1 set of pedals. Probably profit a good bit too

1 Like

Iā€™ve gone the Quarq route on my road, gravel and XC bike, but ultimately if I was starting from scratch this would be an option to consider some cost savings, even if just for gravel and XC bike with SPDs.

My Salsa Beargrease fat bike doesnā€™t have enough chainstay clearance for a Stages, so this could be a good option and also then have a PM pedal set that could be moved to any other bike or taken on vacation when I might rent a bike.

DCRainmaker touched a bit on durability and some of the testing being done, but if the SPDs can hold up this is a very cool product.

If those kits are combined with chinese used vector3 spindles like $170(customs and reliability issues put aside)ā€¦ With $420 here comes mtb powermeter pedal and $370 for road pedal(90% new vector3 is $377 on aliexpress). Will it be hack or bodge? :laughing:

2 Likes

This is what Iā€™ve been debating. Vector 3ā€™s are already getting discounted. Dual 3ā€™s + mtb conversion < $1200 for dual sided mtb goodness.

Is my math wrong?!

The spindle is the actually important bit though, so youā€™d have to be careful to get a good one.

The lowest EU prices for vector 3 have been around 780ā‚¬ for a while. The conversion kit for mtb is 250ā‚¬, if you get it directly from garmin.