Garmin Rally Power Meter Pedals: Look Road, Shimano Road & MTB

First ride in today. Stack height is noticeable (I am coming from candy pedals) but pairing, data, and all the good stuff was dead on simple. Worth it IMO

1 Like

You planning on changing your saddle height, or just living with the slight change?

I would guess that’s simply because even if the Rally RK200 and the Vector 3 are all but identical apart from the name, then if the price is the same people are still going to want the “new” one. So they have to discount the old stock to shift it. Unless there are some significant upgrades in the RK200 that I’ve missed?

That’s a hefty discount though, imagine that stock will shift very fast and/or they’ll change the price, so if you’re in the market I’d move fast!

I’m probably going to micro adjust everything starting with cleat position.

1 Like

Massive kudos to Garmin for making the new bodies compatible with Vector 3s. I’m going to buy the SPD-SL bodies I think, partly because I want a metal thread for the battery cap to screw in to. The plastic threads were the only complaint I had left about mine (flawless otherwise since v4 battery caps).

3 Likes

Just been looking at the Vector 3 option after watching the DCR video on swapping (looked trivial).

Can do the XC200s conversion + them for just over 800 GBP. Seems like a steal really, assuming the firmware really is coming for the Vectors so that they can better handle off road.

Battery time should be better on the new ones, because they’ve changed a few components inside that improves “sleep time” for them. It’s in dcrainmaker’s review. (I do remember that bit because I had to laugh so much at his comment, “they must not have any small children at home”!)

Whether that’s worth £180 I don’t know.

Anybody here run road pedals on their gravel bike? I have assiomas on my road bike, and was thnking of using them on my gravel bike too. But now I’m wondering if it’s worth to buy the XC200/100s for my gravel bike. The gravel where I live isn’t super gnarly.

I know several around here that roll gravel with roadie, power meter pedals (Vector and Assioma). They are careful when they get off the bike to walk around, minding any wet dirt. It works, but you just need to be a bit more careful about where you walk. If you don’t have much need to walk in general off the bike, it can work fine.

We’ve discussed adding some rubber sheets or even old tire tread glued to the bottom of the shoes, to make them a bit better for walking, but none around here have done it. I even considered repurposing some old MTB clipless shoes, by drilling the 3-hole pattern and clearing out the lugs to make a space for a road cleat. Again, not done it, but it could be an option for the more daring out there :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks! I like that idea of checking to see if there’s a way to make my shoes more ‘compatible’ with the discipline.

1 Like

I basically always do for power meter purposes and have mainly avoided any regrettable situations.

I did order the garmin rally conversion kit but I don’t think it’ll be here soon enough to use at unbound this year.

1 Like

First trail ride on the xc200s today. I had a bunch of pedal strikes while I normally have none.

They b chunky

3 Likes

How are you liking them? I am thinking of ordering a pair so any info helpful!

Where are people actually able to order these things? It seems like they and every power meter is sold out for the forseeable future.

Which exact model(s) are you trying to find?

I got a couple if hits with stock from a simple google shopping search for the XC200.

I was hoping to get a pair of XC100s because I’m not far enough into marginal gains that I think I will benefit greatly from “Cycling Dynamics”. I just want help pacing some brevets this summer.

2 Likes

Not sure they are all true, but these ones seems to have stock:

https://www.bike-rack.com/product/garmin-rally-xc100-single-sensing-power-meter-391576-1.htm

2 Likes

I swear I’m not usually this dense. It never occurred to me to look at retail websites when Garmin’s own site said “check back in 5-8 weeks”. REI claims that I’ll have my pedals on Monday. Cheers!

4 Likes

Yeah, fine to start with the manufacturer, but there are so many independent sellers, there is usually an option to find it somewhere… unless you are looking for chains, cassettes and tubes… those are ALL GONE :stuck_out_tongue:

These came today. Just got them on the bike and took a spin around the neighborhood. The whole process was pretty seamless aside from needing to download Garmin app and having to sign up for a Garmin account just to calibrate them, which I found annoying but not a deal breaker (seriously, couldn’t we, just for once, be able to install a piece of hardware without needing to generate a password with some random website?).

I agree with the poster above that the pedals are chunky. That won’t impact my use cases, but if you’re particularly worried about pedal strikes, maybe get them from somewhere with a good return policy.

2 Likes