Garmin Rally Power Meter Pedals: Look Road, Shimano Road & MTB

I see the exact same thing every time.

Hello,

Why did you calculate the weight of the chain? I donā€™t see in the instructions that it is necessary to include that.
@GPLama Is it correct to include the weight of the chain as well?

Thank you

Iā€™m not him but yes the weight of chain and weightā€¦.Garmin instructions :arrow_down:

Iā€™ve read carefully multiple times, but I really donā€™t see the part about chain weight. Please, if you can, highlight that part in the instructions. Thanks in advance

Accurately weigh and record weight of entire mass in kilograms (weight, hook, rope, etc.)

My mistake, I thought he added the weight of the bike chain, so nothing was clear to me :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I assume the drift issue is still present? If so what would be a good option for a GRX bike? Could do the assioma hack or is it better to just go with a spider.

Or a compatible left crank arm power meter. I found this link helpful in looking at options when I returned my Garmin Rally SPDs.

1 Like

I found a 4iii 105 fitted my (10 speed) GRX with no issue. There was a thread a while back about an extra shim for a very small gap, but Iā€™d already made the change and hadnā€™t noticed.

Only thing that had to go was the third bottle cage, as the battery/ pod did catch on that.

2 Likes

For rally users; new firmware update available today.

7 Likes

Mine unfortunately didnā€™t survive the update. Calibrating wasnā€™t possible anymore, left pedal kept blinking and right one was glowing steadily. Kudos to Garmin support to provide me with a replacement. I read on the Garmin forum that a few people had this issue.

1 Like

My right pedal apparently has gone missing according to my 1040, and power numbers have been all over the place since the last FW update, anyone else seeing this issue? Garmin is replacing my set.

Warranty replacement pedals just arrived from Garmin Support to address loss of cycling dynamics while riding. First ride on my KICKR Bike will be today.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen this happen as bad as your issues, thankfully. I have notice some dropouts when the batteries were low. After I changed to new batteries I have only seen maybe 3-5 dropouts on a 3-4 hour ride. Itā€™s also my right pedal usually.
A few dropouts here and there donā€™t bother me and I feel have a decent sense of RPE for efforts so if NP is off a few watts itā€™s l only a few watts, IMO.

Iā€™m interested to hear what happens for you guys and do you think I should reach out to garmin?

If you have an issue wit the pedals thatā€™s a problem, you can always start the conversation with Garmin Support. They were really helpful and have always treated me well. I started working with them prior to the warranty running out then kept riding trying to collect some data. I finally decided they should address my rights pedal issue. I was not losing any data as far as I know, it seemed to just not send Power Phase fro the right pedal intermittently during my ride.

Today it all looked good except for some reason Garmin Connect does not show any Seated or Standing time. Weird. Iā€™ll give them a few rides and software updates before I start asking Garmin Support more questions.

1 Like

Got a good deal on RS200 pedals, have seen some interesting things.

Summary:

1. first ride on rental bike (Checkpoint Shimano GRX), power seemed fine but weird L/R bias to the Right at end of ride, almost as if one legged pedaling for last 20 minutes
  2. second ride on my Tarmac, torqued to spec. Power seemed high by +10W and L/R bias to the Right at 41/59%
  3. third ride after rain, moved pedals to Giant Escape and torqued to spec. Power fine, but L/R bias to the LEFT !!! Two right biases and now a left bias. Crazy making.
  4. fourth ride on my Tarmac, L/R started around 45/55 and ended around 40/60. Dual recorded and MMP comparison looks fine. Called Garmin Support about another issue and did factory reset on 530 just in case.
  5. fifth ride Tarmac, L/R now 47/53% and somewhat reasonable. MMP comparison with Red/Quarq looks fine.
  6. seventh ride Tarmac, L/R again 47/53% and now the MMP comparison with Red/Quarq is a little off

Overall Iā€™m ok that things seem to be settling down however still seeing a bit of a right side bias. My experience with Stages gen3, Force, and Red cranks is that my split is usually 49/51 or 50/50 or 51/49. and always between 48-52%.

Some details below if anyone is interested.

1. First used on a rented Checkpoint at BWR:

L/R looked ok until the end, ignore the mostly downhill stuff from 1:56:40 to 3:36:40. Serious right bias at the end, temp at start 44F and 64F at end.

1. Monday 13 March, freshly installed on my Tarmac, didnā€™t dual record:

Power seemed a little high (+10W) on this endurance ride, but I was pretty fresh. Iā€™m usually close to 50/50 with Stages gen3, SRAM Force, SRAM Red, and this one ended up 41/59. Hmm, maybe they need to ā€œsettle in.ā€

1. Tuesday 14 March, moved them to my grocery store bike (Giant Escape):

Now I have a left bias! WTF! Crazy making. However its a fresh install on my grocery store bike, and it was raining. Maybe I was doing some funky left side gyrations. I dunno.

1. Wednesday 15 March, back on the Tarmac:

Started around 45/55 and ended around 40/60.

dual recorded with Red/Quarq crank:

RS200 a little higher peaks, Red/Quarq crank a little smoother:

and MMP looks good:

and my summary

Pretty much the same MMP for the 3.5 minute intervals.

1. Friday 17 March Endurance ride:

47/53 split, more reasonable now.

and MMP looks good:

and my summary:

1. Monday 20 March easy ftp cadence work:

looks good there. 47/53 split is ok but still a little biased to the right side compared to my experience with Stages gen3, Force, and Red cranks.

easier to see the bias in DCRainmaker Analyze:

and MMP:

Not bad, however not as close as previous outings.

@dcrainmaker Iā€™m dual recording with 530 (RS200) and Wahoo iPhone app. Wahoo app I start recording 30-60 seconds early, and then upon arriving home forget to turn off the Wahoo app for a minute or five. With respect to the MMP chart, should I bother trimming the Wahoo recording?

and my summary:

hmm, no the RS200 are below on average and normalized power.

Iā€™ve found that after installing them, they take a few power cycles to get settled down it seems. They have been rock solid for me when I donā€™t move them from bikes, but when I do the first ride or two(especially when I have a second source to compare to) there is a discrepancy.

1 Like

Yes I think ā€œsettling inā€ explanation makes sense.

During one of last weekā€™s rides I had the 530 giving a data uploaded/synced message every minute or two at the start of ride. Fixed it by removing the RS200 from Garmin Connect Mobile app on my iPhone. While on the phone I also brought up the strange L/R balance stuff. Support rep had me reset the 530 to factory defaults. Had wanted to do that anyways, a bit of voodoo but in my day job that is a legit debugging step. Spent 20 minutes reconfiguring all my screens and despite taking 20 minutes, happier about that part of the post factory reset dance.

I found I have to really crank the pedals down on the bike when I install them, for best results.
I also notice leg discrepancy when Iā€™m riding endurance, my left leg does more work. Then as intensity raises my right leg starts to pick up at the higher wattages.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got multiple years on Stages gen3 and SRAM Force and Red. At low recovery watts, under 100W, I see left/right imbalance. Otherwise 48-52% which is basically 50/50, and anything tempo and above itā€™s always 50/50. So it was a surprise to see RS200 start around 41/59 split and after a handful of rides Iā€™m at 47/53 which still seems off a bit. But overall the accuracy is good enough.

Support also had me reset the platform offset (edit: reset install angles) on my 530. Odd that isnā€™t in GC Mobile.

1 Like