Garmin Edge 1040 Released

Here is the strava activity:

The climb was from the bottom of Old Foresthill Road (American river confluence), up to almost the end of the paved road. It was showing the first 40 miles of the ‘Confluence to Robinson Flat’ segment. The climbpro screen is just showing the very first bit of the climb, which is the steepest part coming out of the river canyon, the climb then gets shallower and somewhat rolling for the rest of it. The next climb was the final bit to the top, then the rest were smaller climbs on the way back down.
Also, I’ve found a way to make the Strava leaderboard - do a segment that only 13 people have done, and getting into the top 10 is much easier!

5 Likes

That’s a pretty epic ride!

1 Like

What did you think after spending so much time on Foresthill Road? A lot of people I know hate riding down it after doing the Iowa Hill climb.

From the leaderboard I spotted one of the Cycle Folsom ride leaders. He posted some pics, here is one from last year around the Robinson Flat campground area, looking toward the crest of the Sierra and Palisades/Alpine ski areas:

You can keep going on Foresthill gravel all the way to Soda Springs / Truckee: Folsom to Truckee | 187.0 km Cycling Route on Strava and I know a guy that did that route a couple of years ago on a Santa Cruz Stigmata.

1 Like

Do you know if that route has gravel on it? I’m still collecting info to put together a Roseville → north lake tahoe → south lake tahoe → roseville route (not using I-80 or Hwy 50.) I think I’ll end up with some gravel on either the 80 or 50 corridor, which will be OK with the right bike.
I like Foresthill road, especially above Foresthill, as the traffic goes way down. Between Auburn and Forresthill it has a fair amount of traffic, and is just OK. That said, it is not a steady descent it has a lot of ups/downs in it. The climbpro page was showing 8000 feet of climbing to end up about 5000 feet higher, which shows how undulating this route is. This doesn’t show up well in in the profile. You also have a bit of a kicker - maybe .75 miles at 7ish% at the end after the bridge back into Auburn. It’s one of these roads where you end up lower, but it is not downhill all the way :slight_smile:
It was really pretty up there, and even the burned sections had a beauty to them (and enables some larger vistas.) I plan to do some more exploring up there on my gravel bike (once I get it working properly), likely starting from Foresthill.
Another road worth riding from there is Mosquito Ridge road, although like many roads up there water is scarce.

1 Like

Yes above Robinson Flat its gravel, I’ve been told some sections make you wish for a mountain bike if you took a gravel bike like the Stigmata. From South Lake Tahoe you can do Pioneer Trail to Meyers and then South on Luther Pass to Hwy 88, up and over Carson Pass, past Kirkwood, and then Mormon Emigrant to Sly Park / Pollock Pines and then its frontage roads along Hwy 50. Its also possible to drop down before/at Sly Park and somehow get to Placerville or Diamond Springs / Shingle Springs but I’d have to ask one of my gravel friends that rides in that area.

I’ve done Mosquito Ridge Rd a few times, great ride when its not too hot and somebody stashes water at the bridge, before the 10 mile climb back into Foresthill.

Garmin have just posted the latest EDGE 1040 series beta (14.12) with a chunky update/fix list:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp…

Note: As this is beta you’ll need to manually install it using their instructions. For those who don’t want to mess about, I’m sure this will go live/public soon given the amount of fixes it contains.

6 Likes

That’s a huge update, improving auto pause and startup.txt coming back is great, so many other good items packed in there too.

Nice and been happy with the 1040 solar. The actual solar back has not worked 1/2 of the time so hope this fixes it. Regardless the battery is amazing.

I rode my mtb with the 530 today and I think the 1040 ruined me as I now really prefer the larger screen. :raised_hands:t2:

Anyone notice that after doing a workout on the 1040, you get an ‘Execution Score’ for your workout?

Today I did Monadnock +2 and when I was looking, I saw a new metric for this! Pretty cool. It’s basically the percentage of time you spent within the prescribed ranges of the workout.

5 Likes

Added support for the Tempe temperature sensor

So you can hang one off your bike, pack, or someplace else instead of using the internal sensor that has been called into question elsewhere in this thread? We’ll see how that works out.
Placement will be…interesting.

Hahah. I use one when running / hiking but never bothered with my road bike. I would personally zip tie mine to the seat rails or even velcro on the underside of my 1040

The one downside I find is that it counts the recovery intervals in the calculation. So I nailed a SS workout the other day and it gave me like a 60% score because I was always above the recovery targets.

Cool feature if they could fix some things.

Why not just the weather app that reads off your phone? Or use the windfield app. Its amazing.

Absolutely.

Re: temperature readings on my 530 that I posted above… If I pull temps along the course, as reported by normal people using $100 weather stations and uploading to WeatherUnderground, I don’t see a problem when riding in the late afternoon.

The only time I see a discrepancy is late morning and afternoon when the sun is overhead, and only in the summer when its hot. I’ve definitely seen stuff like Garmin 530 records 94 degrees and actual air temperature is around 85.

Windfield looks cool and might give it a try. Tempe is fine for running/hiking but don’t see the point cycling personally.

Everyone has their reasons for wanting stuff on the bike computer, but this is my position.

I ride outside about 5 days a week, after dinner I checkout the forecast for tomorrow, on my phone.

I’ll be riding this afternoon and just glanced at my phone for a quick forecast:

Once outside later today, depending on the wind it might be slightly warmer or cooler. While on the bike I might raise my wrist and look at my watch, but it doesn’t always completely agree with my phone:

incoming-EFB7E330-E520-4AC4-95E7-D43DA07CDB6E

My wife will sometimes ask about temps (“should I bring a sweater?”) before we head out the door at say 5pm, and 2 phone apps will not completely agree on the forecasted temp at 8pm.

Regardless, there is nothing actionable once I’m outside on the bike. If the heat is getting to me, it doesn’t matter if my Garmin says 100F while my phone says 95F. I listen to my body and do what’s necessary.

And if it feels like mid 80s and the Garmin shows 95F, its because the sun is overhead and back to FatBoySlim and my point that you are better off glancing at phone/watch app, or using a ConnectIQ app.

2 Likes

I agree, it is amazing. But the weather stations might be miles from where you’re riding, or you might be in and out of shaded areas, or you might get rain and a sudden temperature drop, or you might just have $30 to spend.

Well… the app uses your phone that has gps on it. Accurate just like whatever weather program is on your phone.

If I am in and out of shaded areas I will be able to tell if its warmer or colder, really dont see how an accurate temperature will help me! I dont need accurate temperature if it rains and the temperature drops as I will know if I am cold and wet. The temperature on the screen is not going to make me feel better about being cold and wet!!!

Windfield will forcast the next few hours of weather on the edge so you can prepare for it in advance. I dont really care if the temperature is 100F or 30C on the edge and a tornado warning is out and a huge storm is 1-3 hours away. The edge temperature tells me nothing. Windfield tells me the future. ;).

I experienced the tornado warning and the massive storms in June. On my trip I missed almost all the storms (except one as I thought it would go north of me). I also found safety far in advance of both Tornado issues.

I also believe its $12 and not $30.

Then no need for you to buy one FBS. You don’t need to explain windfield. It’s a common and popular field. $30 for the sensor, not windfield.

I’m wondering about the increase in crashes from those who use this outside in a sound system that blocks external noise. Hoping people realize there are options like bone conduction headphones that work great on the bike. I use aeropex from aftershox