Garmin Edge 1040 Released

Not sure if this helps you.

2 Likes

Thank you! This worked. Cool feature for gas station stops.

This could be it, as I normally create a route via komoot fist and import that gpx into strava. This means I end up with an komoot version of the route on my device and maybe this is confusing the device. I’ll give it a try this weekend!

1 Like

Yes it is a little funny and very particular for sure. At times it still does not pick them all up depending on the gps shift of course but rare for me.

He did say in the review (in the next sentence I believe) that the improvement in navigation could be software, and it could be that it is showing what it has calculated as soon as it’s done it, rather than when it has calculated the entire route (which s a common pratice in software, to make the user think it is faster than it really is)

2 Likes

The route caching makes it look crazy fast. I did a ‘route to address’ 100km away on the 1040/1030/1030+ which wasn’t pre-cached/pre-calculated. The 1040 smoked them both in the real-time route calc.

Now the unit has been ‘released’ we’ll be able to load a ton more ConnectIQ apps/things to check the speed of the 1040 vs the others.

8 Likes

Speed and memory connect iq apps can use is good. Battery impact is a big one too. A faster cpu means it can enter sleep state more often and last longer on higher cpu apps. For example:

Drains my 1030 in a 50 mile ride (Im slow) but if the cpu is faster then not only the general increase in battery life, but the ability to do those calculations and go back to sleep should help. This could allow more apps that would have drained the battery too fast in the past but could be ok to use now (i.e. percent drain per unit of time will be less)

One thing the reviews seem to miss is the magnetic compass. On my 1030 and earlier garmins when stopped it has no idea the direction its facing so doesn’t always get the map to line up right but seems the 1040 can line up the map (like the way the fenix 7 can keep the map oriented when not moving)

1 Like

Power Targets for pacing long rides looks like a really great feature. That alone makes me kind of want the 1040, even though I am very happy with the 1030+. Apparently they won’t bring any new software features to the older devices which is a bit of a bummer, having bought the previous flagship.

4 Likes

Give me five minutes… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

edge 530/830/1030/1030plus
watchApp-1048576
widget-1048576
datafield-131072
background-32768

background-32768
datafield-131072
watchApp-1048576

So no real change for connect iq apps :frowning: (the sdk just got updated) No more widget

1 Like

I’ve had a 1030 since it was first released and just ordered the 1040. Im excited to have a fast device, the 1030 is just so slow these days to do anything

Its not slow to accidentally swap screens under a drop of rain/sweat/snot, it is slow to change it back though :disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

Ok, it was more than 5mins… but from inside some rando hotel a few floors up it’s tracking well with my iPhone compass. However… I understand this is a completely useless test :rofl:. I’ll note it down as something to look at when I’m back home on the gravel/mtb trails and come to a trail fork.

10 Likes

It’s one of those things that isn’t always useful but sometimes at an intersection where you need to move a bit to let a car through it something like that or rest stop it’s nice to be sure the map is actually oriented correctly as it’s not completely clear which way to go. (Usually related to how worn out I am)

2 Likes

Link to Garmin 1040 Series Forum

I like how the firmware released today adds a good amount of functionality

Don’t think I’ll be able to justify the 1040 to the CFO, given that the 1030+ is just a year old and works perfectly… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

4 Likes

just saw the size differences on some reviews and WOW it is huge compared to a 830.

Not available in Canada at the moment.
Not available for at least 5 weeks from now after talking to Garmin.

1st world problems :frowning: