Garmin Edge 1040 Released

If you’re old like me, that’s an advantage!

3 Likes

bahahah I get that and sometimes with my F6X it can be a little hard to read but mostly because of the screen. If I had a Epix 2 well then I would be fine as the screen looks very nice.

1 Like

So the Edge boomer edition? :wink:

4 Likes

Lol, I feel called out now for wanting a bigger screen. Love my 530 but the screen is small for my eyes. Ordered the non-solar. Couldn’t justify the extra $150, especially when the battery life is already amazing.

3 Likes

hahah classic. I have a 530 as well and I have 4 data points max per screen which makes it easier but I get it. I am just glad that with di2 and the dongle I can flip through screens without taking my hands off the shifters. Tempted by the 1040 solar as I figure why not but will see if they do a 840

1 Like

Actual boomer here, still rocking a 530 and some pages have 8 or 10 fields :+1:

3 Likes

yeah my main screen is around there but usually 4 or so. love the 530 and at this point I would just be spending $$ to spend it

So the important question: when’s the first time you will be able to buy this on sale / with some type of discount? :rofl:

1 Like

I’m betting on November…

1 Like

I was really hoping the 1040 would have a ‘live’ ClimbPro feature at launch, akin to the CLIMBER feature on the Karoo 2. At the moment seems like you still need to be following a course/route for it to appear.

Hopefully this is something that can come as part of a future firmware update.

2 Likes

That is movement in the right direction! It alway blew my mind how long it would take my Garmin to recalculate a route compared to a more modern device like my phone

@dcrainmaker is the Power Guide similar to what we might expect for the race plan thing on the Forerunner/instinct 2 etc when that adds cycling?

Does Power Guide also work for MTB?

For me, doing most of my riding offroad (with no obvious trail in some cases), it’s much better to have a larger screen as I’m far less likely to suddenly find myself off route.

The weight is irrelevant as more often than not I’m bikepacking anyway, so it’d be like carrying an extra couple of hundred millilitres of water.

1 Like

I am probably going to get one as soon as it shows up at REI or a place where I get $$ back. I see them still in stock at pros closet but there are some many rewards there. I used to order from biketiresdirect as they did not have sales tax to me in GA but now have changed that. Had it good for a while.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same for ordering from REI: cash back + hoping for a member 20% off that I could use with it :upside_down_face:

bahaha that would be nice. I just ordered from biketiresdirect as my brother lives in OR so no tax and I will be in WA state in a few weeks so no biggie.

I have the 520 and it’s great. I’m keeping it for some races and hill climb PR attempts. But it will be nice having the iPhone sized 1040 when I’m out on a long training day.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to comparing the 840 to the 1040 :smiley: And then upgrading!

1 Like

What if you star a segment and have Strava Segments enabled? Will it show the climb pro stuff that way? That’s how it works on my Wahoo and I just starred most of the categorized climbs near me, it’s a cool feature.

I’m going to probably get a 530 just for the extra control of the Varia but I’d be super disappointed if the only way to see the climb feature is to have a route loaded.

In its current state even with the 1040 climbpro still has to have a route enabled. For me most times though on my 530 I just have the map screen enabled and at the bottom I have grade and power so I can reference when I am not following a route.

Sometimes though as much as I like climbpro I don’t necessary need to see it to remind me of the struggle ahead. :slight_smile:

1 Like