FTP test on flats vs climb’s

I was wondering which do u rather do a ftp test on flats or climbs (outside) and why

I think Id rather do one on a climb but there isn’t one near here that’s near long enough.

Edit: actually finding a decent bit of even flat road here where you feel safe to go all out is pretty hard and I’ve done only one FTP test outdoors in my 8 years of structured training.

1 Like

Outside I’d use a (steady) climb. Though partly that’s just terrain availability; not that many flat roads that I could ride for 5-6 miles without running into something. I tried once and ran into a light that I didn’t think I’d ever reach with 90 seconds or so left. I was not happy.

All that said, I just do formal testing indoors.

1 Like

Out the door I have 50 minutes of clear flat roads, into a headwind. So that’s what I use. Have to drive an hour for a long enough climb… on the plus side it’s over 2 hours of climbing at steady 4% grade :+1:

2 Likes

I believe that it’s recommended to do the outdoor test on the type of road you’ll do most of your training. So if you plan climbing alot, do it on a hill, if not do it on the flat. There’s likely to be a difference in the number obtained on a hill to the flat, with the hill giving a higher number.

I’d do a ramp test, and that needs a hill :wink:

I have 15 minute to 90 minute climbs within 10 minutes of my door…only issue is that the long ones top out at 10k feet, so elevation becomes an issue. That said, I still prefer doing them on climbs because they are close, easy (not that climbing is easy, but they are easy to go hard on since you fall over if you don’t), and if you’re tired or need to bail, it’s a quick ride down compared to an hour out on a flat.

2 Likes

As others say, you are looking for something that is uninterrupted and none to low traffic volumes. FTP test on an uphill you obviously don’t need as long a stretch of road with those properties.

1 Like