FTP - from 206 to 242 in 4 weeks. Should I be concerned about it?

Hello people,

I’ve done a Ramp Test today and my result is higher than expected. A bit of background:

• Started TR 4 weeks ago. Never done structured training before, but rode 10k km this year.
  • First ramp test result (4 weeks ago), after 2 months break: 206
  • AI FTP detector (2weeks ago): 213
  • Done a new test today, because I regularly increase intensity. Result: 242
  • Age: 33 ; height: 182cm ; weight: from 80.2kg (4 weeks ago) to 75.3kg (this Monday).
  • I fixed my nutrition 4 weeks ago, and sleep around 7-8 hours by day.
  • My current week was pretty intense (went from 400 TSS last week to 620 TSS this week, mainly because I added low intensity session before breakfast).

My question is: should I be concerned by this change, and downgrade my FTP or should I keep it like that? Is that quite normal such an improvement?

Thanks a lot!

Nothing to worry about, maybe check your equipment is calibrated and powered if you use linked meters/trainers.

1 Like

I’m using a Kick Core. I calibrate the spin right before the test (doing the calibration each day). Nothing seems to be wrong.

If you are concerned try a few 10-15 minute threshold intervals at 97-100% FTP. You will know very quickly if that new FTP is accurate or not. (Should be doable but hard - breathing should be labored but consistent, and RPE of 7-8/10 on modified BORG scale).

Trust but verify

3 Likes

YES - You’re too good!!!

2 month break so a lot of lost fitness but still muscle memory and a bit more experience riding the trainer

Anyway TR will adjust your progress levels downwards so your workouts should progress as before

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendation. I will try it as soon as possible!

After a month or two off the bike, my ftp drops to around 190-210 and without n a month of riding with a few intervals it will jump to 230-245. Not quite twice your age.

Why would you worry about that? You are fairly young, lost a bunch of weight and just started training. Rapid gains are nothing unusual in your situation.

Do not downgrade your FTP, because you are afraid that you are making gains too quickly.

1 Like

I disagree with this advice

There’s no reason you would be able to judge by feel until you are much more experienced, and even then I still wouldn’t do this

Can you ride at that number for 40-60 minutes continously when kinda fresh? That should be the only thing that matters when determining ftp.

Or try 3x20min at the end of a training block.

Sounds like you learned how to go hard in the context of a ramp test. Try workouts with the updated FTP setting. If you’re unable to complete workouts at 100%, then reassess.

In principle, it is a good idea to verify your FTP.

But if you are new to the sport, you will likely not know what it feels like. Ditto for RPE, people who don’t haven’t had the experience of really pushing themselves might perceive an effort that is not even threshold as all-out. After several years of structured training I can tell quite well where the tipping point is in my muscles, but it really took a while.

My advice for someone who is new is: can you complete the workouts as prescribed? If the answer is yes, then don’t fiddle with your FTP.

I feel this is really bad advice for someone who is new to the sport. Even experienced riders need to train specifically for an effort like that. It is also based on a misunderstanding what FTP is and how it is used in training.

2 Likes

The original definition of ftp literally is the power you can hold for an hour. How is that a misunderstanding?

Also, with 10k in the legs, I assume OP is fairly wrll trained.

Except it is not the original definition. The original definition by Coggan is that FTP is the power at Lactate Threshold 2 (= AnT in the text below) measured in a field test. This is a relevant paragraph from Friel’s Training Bible:

I have the Kindle version on my iPad, so I cannot give you sensible page numbers.

AFAIK the concept was first coined by Coggan in this publication. I have snipped some relevant bits of text from pp. 3–5:

The second paragraph quoted above is probably where the consistent misunderstanding FTP = hour power comes from. However, Coggan was clear in the text (feel free to read it in its entirety to make sure I am not leaving out important context) that there is more than one way to determine your FTP. That includes ramp tests, which are probably the most common method these days. Moreover, Coggan’s initial test subjects were highly trained road cyclists, i. e. people who were training for TTs in the first place.

Without specific training, even trained cyclists will likely not be able to hold their FTP for the duration of a 40k TT. The requirements of a TT are super specific and doesn’t translate well to other workloads cyclists may encounter. Training your TTE at a specific power level could but need not be desirable, it all depends on your goals. IMHO it is just a completely different metric than FTP.

Read more closely: he wrote that he rode 10k, but never did structured training. Associating power levels with bodily sensations takes time and you need to spend time in specific zones.

2 Likes

I’m in agreement, with the caveat that if you tested low on the ramp test, you’ll maybe be able to do the workouts as prescribed because they’re too easy and unproductive. Sure, AT will slowly address that with PLs, but it’s suboptimal in the short term.

In that case, I’d maybe then follow up with a 2 × 20 @ 100% (Gray +5, say) which should probably feel Hard or Very Hard if FTP is about right. Probably a case where Erg mode is a good idea for less-experienced riders (like me) to get a nice even pace for both intervals.

Also, everyone should do 2 × 20 every now and again. :blush:

3 Likes

Unless you start to fail workouts on multiple days I wouldn’t be concerned.

There’s likely two things going on

1. You’ve got fitter from beginner gains when it comes to training.
  2. You’ve got better at doing the ramp test
2 Likes

:+1:
I agree completely. 2 x 20 or even 4 x 10 minutes at FTP is a good way to gauge whether your FTP is set correctly. Usually, at least 4 x 8 minutes at threshold should be served up rather quickly in the training plans. I‘m going to do my 4 x 8 minutes in my first week of my polarized block.

1 Like