FTP Detection Way Out - What Did I Do Wrong?

Its probably not as simple as I thinking but if a workout is supposed to be hard, such as a reasonable PL Threshold session, I don’t think rating it as hard will soften future workouts (I’ve not saw it anyway). Although I’ve never saw it either but I think if you started ranking easy Endurance rides as hard or all out, fail surveys may be generated and future workouts may be softened.

1 Like

:joy:, I am just happy that the chart is useful and people share it when it might be helpful for others. :+1:

2 Likes

Nah, hard is just where it should be. Marking it as moderate wouldn’t really have made a difference here.

I’d just keep training with that higher FTP. I suspect you had a big bounce up because of your sickness. AT + AI FTP Detection will learn your new fitness over the next block and things should be inline again.

7 Likes

Thanks all.

I think being sick and bouncing back quick may have been what threw things out a bit.

Onwards and upwards,

Pat.

1 Like

How does ftp detection look at outside rides on bikes without a power meter? Last AI detection dropped me 4 watts. I’ve been pretty consistent with the plan. I’ve done a few outdoor rides on my mtb, and gravel. Both do not have power meters and virtual power is much lower. I kept my current ftp and will keep plugging away.

Pretty sure that any ride without power is essentially ignored by AI FTP Detection.

Will AI FTP Detection consider unstructured outside rides as well?

Yes. AI FTP Detection takes into account all rides with power data, whether they’re indoors or outside, structured or unstructured. This can include group rides, races, and even rides on other indoor training apps synced to TrainerRoad.

After looking into AI ftp detection a little more, I’m even more curious why it dropped me 4 watts. I’m not overly concerned about it, but I will be keeping a close eye on it.

My guess (and only a guess) if you’ve been feeding the system with only outdoors/hr activity which it can’t process, in the absence of power data the algorithm has some sort of natural decline built in.

It’s best to email support@trainerroad.com if you have more questions on the results and what drove them in your instance.

I’m gonna keep my current ftp and see what happens at the next block. I only missed 2 workouts since early Oct, so it was a little surprising to me. Thanks for the feedback.