FTP decreasing with TR plan builder

OK, Bays +1 is an easy-ish Endurance pace workout with some kicks. Relatively low Intensity Factor and TSS for a 90 min workout, so that sounds reasonable from and RPE perspective.

ERG gearing an interesting topic. One option is that you can theoretically do the same workout in lowest or highest gearing (assuming the trainer capability and your power target requirements match up). Your Kick is plenty capable and can likely hit your power in any gearing.

Long story short:

• Low ERG gearing tends to feel more like a “climbing steady” effort with less “inertia” when compared to outside.

• High ERG gearing tens to feel more like “rolling fast” on a road outside with more “inertia” in the pedal stroke.

Not everyone feels the same thing that I shared above, but those are the common associations we see. That being the case, depending your weight and riding outside, you may well feel better with higher gearing in ERG. You can try a quick test by kicking up to the big ring at least, and maybe further down to smaller cogs and see how it feels.

It’s possible that you will prefer the faster feel. If so, it may be worth a new Ramp Test in that gearing. I suggest that because we have seen comments that people notice a difference in ramp test results with different gearing. So, I recommend testing in ERG in the same gearing you plan to use in training.

Might be much ado about nothing, but worth consideration as a possible link in this process.

ETA:

• Additionally, some people here really like the “Standard/Level” modes in the Kickr. This is usually available if you are running TR over BLE (Bluetooth). It is like Resistance mode where you shift to control your power output, like outside.

• But Standard mode is more of a progressive resistance progression, that feels more like outside. Most like Standard at setting 2 or 3. So that may be worth a test too. And if you like that, could be worth Ramp testing that way, for consistency.

• https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/204281764-What-Are-the-Different-Modes-On-My-Smart-Trainer-

1 Like

Chad,

This was very helpful, so I always do workouts in 52-16 gearing, only Ramp test in 36-16 because that was what TR guys suggested, I prefer to be more like “rolling fast” with more inertia so I will try next time to do big gearing. I absolutely agree, being in a low gear ERG felt like high inertia, I felt like climbing, and I was literally pedaling in squares.

I will save this post and refer to it once I am doing the Ramp test again or I will opt for a more traditional power test. This was very helpful. I heard about you in one of the podcast, your reputation precedes you.

Thank you,
Marko

4 Likes

:rofl: I don’t always like the rep I probably have in some places… but thanks for that :stuck_out_tongue: :+1:

3 Likes

I am experiencing the same situation with TR ramp test. I almost complete my first year structured TR training. I feel that I am improving along time (The point of comparison are group rides performance and data collected on these rides). However, each time that I have to do the ramp test the sequential results are going down. I have the same feeling that when you are near to the upper power blocks: “suddenly” the last ones are more difficult in a few seconds. Then, I can’t practically move the cranks when the previous block I was with a cadence around 85-90 rpm. I think that further evaluation by technical TR team about this item will be required.

1 Like

I don’t want to say that this is the cause of your issues but I would usually say that you should test how you are going to train. Just like you might not slam 200mg of caffeine before a ramp test if you never use caffeine in training because it would possibly give you a much higher number than you can hit in training.

From what I’ve hear the low gearing suggestion is because the ERG response for most trainers is better at lower flywheel speeds. But if you don’t notice a bad response with your typical 52-16 gearing than I would just use that gearing for your tests so that your results is more comparable to your training.

When you ride in Trainerroad, is your kickr connected to other devices like a Garmin Edge? Two instances trying to control the kickr simultaneously can result in strange effects.

4 Likes

Try using TR Live Chat. They can look at your data from their end and are extremely helpful. You should get a reply within a minute based on my experience.

1 Like

I try to minimize connectivity with other devices, I practice to turn off BT on phone, my Garmin head unit is off while i am indoors of course. But that is good idea, thanks

I wonder if this has anything to do with connecting Assioma Dou pedals to TrainerRoad via Bluetooth. I think there were problems with certain versions of the firmware.

Maybe @mcneese.chad can remember.

Mike

I know there have been different bits of discussion on the Assioma’s. I don’t remember the specifics, and didn’t see anything immediate via search. Hopefully someone more familiar with them can clarify if there could be an issue here.

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/search?q=assioma%20duo%20bluetooth