FTP and Physiology, Sprinting Mistakes, 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo & More – Ask a Cycling Coach 195

I just listened to the podcast this morning - five stars (even without Amber ;-)). I checked out the link for the lights. Which ones of the many are you guys recommending? Thanks!

3 Likes

I missed the live cast, but got to listen today - thanks for the shoutouts you guys! I had serious FOMO listening. Pete, for what it’s worth, I think I aged pretty well in a week! :wink: Great stuff, as always. Thank you!

7 Likes

I’m a little less fit than I was last year at this time. I just didn’t travel to USAC races last year and focused mainly on long stuff.

I’ve been following sweet spot base, and am about to end sweet spot base II with 24 hours in old Pueblo. So no, I havn’t focused on short 5 minute power yet.

I AM excited to do short power build and the crit plan and continue racing. I am also really excited about training my sprint.

3 Likes

A Whoop. We’re trying it out at TR.

1 Like

I am dual testing the Whoop and HRV4T app right now–6 weeks of Whoop, and only 9 days on HRV4T. Lots more data and understanding of the measurement approach for HRV with HRV4T vs Whoop. However, the Whoop is certainly very simple to use. I’m surprised by how different the Whoop and HRV4T HRV measurements can be…

This HRV stuff is so interesting! If you haven’t already you should check this out @Nate_Pearson: Training Prescription Guided by Heart Rate Variability in Cycling - PubMed

1 Like

I don’t have access to the details, but did the two groups do the same volume and intensity?

re: Cal Aggie Crit Cat.4

37min/25km long?! :flushed::flushed:

Are short races a standard practice in the U.S.?

(Yes, I know it’s a crit, but I’ve never raced one that short, even as a 4.)

1 Like

They were 20 minutes behind, so I think they shorted some races a bit. This was scheduled to be 40 minutes though.

Cat 5 can be 30 minutes. P/1/2 are usually an hour to 90 minutes.

1 Like

Now that’s standard practice! :rofl::angry:

registration was running behind at 6:30am, I didn’t start warmup until 6:55am

Good solution!:+1:

I would be really interested to see your Whoop results for 24HOP. Interested if the strain score will increase noticeably when you begin to get more tired.

I don’t think it will since they use HR for strain. As I get more tired it will be harder to increase my HR and I’ll get lower numbers.

I believe this is what will happen, but I don’t know what their algorithms are.

@Nate…I think you should stick with the Rocket Ron/Knobby Nick combo…the extra grip up front could come in handy at night when you cant really see the surface conditions.

1 Like

really enjoyed the episode, thanks for your efforts guys! :+1:

and happy birthday @chad

3 Likes

What did the study do?
The study took place in Alicante, Spain, and they recruited riders from local clubs. They randomized riders with average 13 years training experience to HRV guided training (N=9) or to “traditional periodized training” (N=8). They first assessed riders, then gave all of them the same 4 weeks of “base training” with 3 weeks of increasing load and a recovery week. then another week of assessment. then the groups were split and 8 weeks of “intervention” HRV-guided or traditional training began, after which there was another assessment.

What were the study results?

• the group randomized to HRV guided training performed an average 30 minutes extra training during the intervention; % in zones was similar
  • the HRV-guided group started with higher peak power, power at ventilatory thresholds and power during 40min TT compared to the traditional training group (by chance)
  • both groups improved on these variables during the 8 week training cycle
  • although the researchers observed a higher increase of peak power and power during 40min TT in the HRV-guided group, and a larger increase of power at VT2 in the traditional group, these differences between the groups were not significant (they could be due to chance). The key sentence (EW = evaluation week, PRE = baseline, MID = after base period):

For all the variables measured during EW (VO2max, PPO, WVT1, WVT2, and 40TT), there were no differences between groups in PRE, MID, and POST.

The key figure from the article, % change in power during 40min TT

In my point of view the authors over-interpret their results and suggest conclusions that are not supported by the data.

Rather cool is that most people who are already training for 13 years have a 5% increase in 40min TT performance after 8 weeks, irrespective of how they train!

3 Likes

But then y’all won’t get a great podcast story!

1 Like

Watch out for cactus then!

I think that’s what makes a great podcast story :slight_smile:.