Fix ERG mode delay by adding a delay adjustment

So here’s the thing:

I use an Elite Direto and in ERG mode it takes a few seconds to adjust to new power targets. Depending on the type of connection I choose it’s between 2 and 5 seconds and it’s constant for each setup.

So I thought it would be great if there was something like a sync function so that the graph and resistance match. Similar to the track sync feature of e.g. VLC player where you can delay the audio track to sync with the video. By sending the new power target 2, 3 or 5 seconds earlier the resistance would change in sync with the graph.

2 Likes

Great suggestion!

TR already sends the power changes early - I’d say 1-2 seconds, you can see and feel it when doing harder intervals. But making it adjustable would not be a bad idea, some trainers are much slower to react to power request changes than others. Of course the ideal would be an auto mode, where TR ‘learns’ the reaction time of the trainer and adjusts the ramp accordingly… This isn’t far-fetched, most “intelligent” thermostats have this feature where the controller adjusts its demand lead time to ensure temperature hits the target at the requested time. Of course the time constant isn’t quite the same.

1 Like

Hey @unicyclist!

Thanks for the recommendation :slight_smile:

While this is not a feature on our current roadmap, there is an easy workaround that you can do today that will allow you to fine-tune the speed at which your trainer reacts. Gear selection plays a huge role in the reactiveness of the ERG mode, so if you are looking to speed up the response, go ahead and shift into an easier gear.

In other words, if you are in the big ring, shift to the little ring and some middle gear in the back.

By lowering your gearing, you are lowering the overall inertia in the system, which makes it easier for the ERG mode to execute the commands coming from TrainerRoad, and lowers the overall reaction time.

I will also pass on your feature request to the team for future consideration as we complete projects and Development Resources free up :slight_smile:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi,

thank you! I’m already in the lower chainring and also mostly in third/fourth cog. That definitely helps. What also helps for big effort intervals is switching to big chainring with the beginning of the interval - that way the time for the trainer to react is bridged with the increased resistance of the bigger chainring. With the downside of course, that the delay at the end of the workout is still there, so you need to switch back or work 5 seconds longer.

Anyway no huge issue, just a nice possible improvement!

If the rumors are true and you’re working on doing TR workouts outside and/or smart adaptation of workouts I’m totally fine if this issue gets a lower priority. :wink: