Feature Request - Flexible Erg Workout

It would be nice to have just one workout that is say 30 minutes long at roughly 60% FTP and infinitely extendable. Perfect for the occasions when we want to just turn the pedals for however long we want, but want to do it in ERG mode and adjust the intensity on the fly. Sometimes when I want to do endurance work, I don’t know in advance if I’ll want to be at 60% or maybe 75% or how long I’ll stay on the bike.

Maybe the best way to accomplish this is to simply add the ability to extend the Recess workout. As it is now, it appears that only workouts with a specific cooldown interval are extendable.

Also, I’ve run into the situation where I’ve extended a workout and later decided to do more only to find the workout has already closed before I thought to tap the +10 minutes another time. Perhaps, if and only if a workout has been extended, the workout could ask you if you’re done or if you want to extend further when the time is up.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Part of what you want may have just been added to the mobile app (its on Android at least). New item in settings that allows you to continue pedaling to automatically extend 10 mins. I haven’t tried it and don’t know of it can repeat after the first time, but might be worth a look and test.

It may be on PC/Mac, but I’m not at one to check.

5 Likes

I agree. The app lacks basic functionality like skip/repeat intervals. These simple features would help with this. If you had a 30 min block at 60% you could repeat the interval and if you only want to do an additional 15 mins skip when you are done to finish the workout.

Use workout creator to just create a 3 hour workout at 60% and then ride until you don’t want to ride any more? Of course that may not be a good idea if you’re an obsessive task completer and end up feeling compelled to do the full 3 hours every time you start it!

2 Likes

Is it possible the free ride workouts will suit you?
Or do these not work for ERG?

1 Like

Been a while since I did a Free Ride, but since they lack any power target, I think ERG is non-functional.

1 Like

Good idea. I’ve done this. I have a 3.5hr workout at 75%. I use it for doing Zwift rides in erg mode when I’ve done all of my TR workouts for the week and riding outside isn’t an option. It gets the job done, just looks kind of funny on the calendar when you only go for 30 minutes. This isn’t a huge issue, but I can’t imagine a feature request that requires less development work and testing than this.

+1 for this feature request.

Especially threshold workouts that start and end with time spent at 60%-70%. It would be nice to be able to extend those periods on the fly, especially the end one, where I’ve found myself many times feeling good/having extra time that I could’ve spent in this zone.

I know you’re able to extend the warmups/cooldowns, but I’ve found little to no benefit in pedaling an extra 10min @90watts

1 Like

Just extend the cooldown and manually increase the intensity to what you want. You may have to tweak a bit for the first few minutes if the cooldown has a ramp.

1 Like

Didn’t know about this feature so checked and confirmed it’s on the iOS app as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. It’s new, and I wasn’t sure which versions were covered. Sounds like all mobile is set at least.

1 Like

Did a quick check on the Mac Desktop version and it’s not in there. Bummer, cause I use the desktop version more than the mobile version.

My pre-AT solution to this was to create a long (2+ hour) workout, and then just stop whenever I wanted to. You could do this now, just when AT asked you why you stopped early, answer “Time Constraint”.

1 Like

There isn’t a level intensity workout with an extend cooldown option.

This is great news!

On a similar note, is there a workout (or not in the structured sense) that has no power target and no time. Literally jump on in resistance mode and do whatever for however long?

Free ride ones have no power target, but it includes time because you can have a “workout” without time. Duration is a necessity for that.

You can load any of the FR workouts (even the 6hr one) and just quit when you want.

The only other thin I can think of is to load the trainer in the TR Device menu. You can alter RES-STD setting right there, pedal and get the control with no time. But it’s also not recording anything. So you’d have to record on another device if you wanted power, HT, TSS and such.

1 Like

@mcneese.chad I’m not sure where to put this suggestion, so I’ll just put it here since this was your last post…

I just did “Beacon” and I noticed a typo in the on-screen text. Around 40 minutes into the workout, there’s onscreen text about moving your feet like you’re kicking a soccer ball. The screen says “your”, but it should be “you’re”.

Thanks!

(Feel free to delete this Chad)

2 Likes

This is on purpose. Our goal is to assign athletes the right workout at the right time. We want to take into account their week, season, goals, and entire training history.

By allowing athletes to skip/repeat intervals we could be doing more damage then good. It’s very hard to make correct training decisions for yourself in the moment. And it’s easy to go too deep in one workout and derail your training in the future.

For those super savvy forum users, they can:

1. Pause the workout and tap forward to skip an interval
  2. Pause the workout and tap back to extend a rest period
  3. Extend the workout at the end and add more intervals by changing the percent FTP.

These aren’t easy on purpose for the reasons mentioned above, but it’s still possible.

5 Likes