Favorite Cold Weather Kit, Clothing

For cold, windy and humid conditions, my (Gabba) Perfetto convertible (they can’t stop changing names, the Gabba range is confusing) is really impressive and versatile.

Under 5C (40F), my 8 years old second hand Assos IJ.bonka (with integrated buff) is my go to. I did a few 180km rides in freezing conditions and even use it to fat bike below -30C. You just have to wear the according base layer.

Craft Active Extreme Windstopper shirt. Keeps your core warm, lets your back breathe and really cuts down on how big your subsequent layers need to be.

Gore’s line of clothing is definitely underrated.

2 Likes

The perfetto is excellent but be aware the new 2020 “ROS” perfetto has changed a fair bit and has an entirely new material. I’ve not tried it, but from what I’ve read I believe it may be a step backwards.

Pick up an older Gabba/Perfetto and you won’t be disappointed - they rock. If it aint broke…!

Also worth a look if you need more warmth is the Castelli Alpha jacket (not jersey). Incredible piece of kit that.

Same! It’s not cheap but I bought mine on discount. “Gaccia” model

Hipora or outdry?

Kinda been doing the layering myself since I discovered the issues (liner gloves/ normal gloves/ neoprene top layer).

I’d like to continue this helpful topic from MTB perspective.

1. Hands: Are lobster gloves practical given you’re supposed to have one finger on the brake? Has anyone tried the Dissent 133 layered systems for MTB?

2. Feet: Shoes vs overshoes? Lakes 303 seem to be preferred for the shoes option and feel like a solid option compared to material that wraps around the shoe and probably gets worn out when unclipping / falling. Any thoughts?

3. Head: Any thoughts on skull caps? Also, does it even make sense to ride if you need a balaclava?

4. Legs: Pardon my ignorance - I haven’t done MTB stuff in the winter before, but bib tights seem to be visually incompatible with MTB (especially when also wearing a pair of Lakes 303). Do you put baggy pants on top?

5. Base layer: What material? Over or under bib straps? What makes a good base layer?

6. Cost: What is a good place to find some discounts for the MTB stuff?

7: Enjoyment: What is the temperature below which it’s not fun anymore and you’re only doing it for fitness?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

LtS

Of course, riding in snow with balaclava and ski goggles is awesome ! My only complain is that I can’t get my icy beard…

For milder temperatures, I use either a Rapha merino beanie or the Castelli skull cap. It works well under a helmet.

I’m a full roadie all year long, but riding my fat bike on holidays is a real pleasure. Only snowstorm and icy rain (witch is the most dangerous condition I ever encountered) can stop the fun. No temperature is too low.

2 Likes

Mountain biking in sub-freezing temperatures can be a lot of fun, especially when the trails are in good condition for riding. I grew up cross-country skiing outside in the cold, and you can dress for that, so mountain biking isn’t that different.

On XC rides, I have no issues wearing bib tights. If it’s really cold, you can pull another layer over top. Long sleeve merino base layer is a staple for me and then what I put on top depends on the weather, but a breathable jacket like the Castelli Alpha ROS is super versatile. Merino or windstopper cap are great on cooler days.

Feet can be tricky. A good pair of merino socks with some insulated shoes is usually good unless its really cold. I’ve put neoprene covers over insulated shoes on some really cold days and the extra layer helps. When it’s not so cold, I’ll sometimes just put covers over my normal summer shoes. On those days it’s blocking the vent on the shoes that’s critical.

Usually you will heat up quickly XC riding, so over dressing can be more of an issue than under dressing. That’s where having things that are breathable, including gloves, is super important. You may have to experiment a little what works best for you but it is definitely is worth it as it can be really fun riding in the winter.

Snoticles… not a good look

Kuttermax nails it. Experiment and recognize you will not need as much clothing in woods as you do on road.

For me its toes and fingers. If those are OK my core is going to be OK.

Under 20 degrees it’s going to be cold out but you aren’t setting strava KOMs in that weather so dress warm and enjoy being outside. You know you are doing it right when you hear the sealant freeze up (sounds like BB’s in the tire) and your water bottle is frozen. Forget about hydration pack - under 15 degrees F or so it’ll freeze in the first 10 min.

1 Like

Anything with Gore Windstopper material, I believe Castelli is a licensee, but Castelli products are not as well made as those by Gore.
Then anything merino for a base layer.

1 Like

This.

With below zero degrees rides I ride with a merino wool baselayer, a long sleeve cycling jersey and my gore shakedry and I am good to go!

Can anyone share their favorite merino base that has a nice tight fit? Been looking to pick up a short and long sleeve from Rapha, but they’re mostly out-of-stock in size M.

2 Likes
  1. Buffs. They are so cheap (they give 'em away at races) and so effective. Easy to wrap around your cheeks and chin and ears. If you get too warm just pull it down around your neck. Unless it is negative degree F, never cover the mouth or nose. I mostly just use headbands for the ears. Top of the head likes to be vented.

2. Ski goggles below 30 degrees. Seems like the cheaper the goggles, the better they are at not fogging up.

3. Pearl Izumi Amfit Lobster gloves. Great for down to 20 degrees F. Below this I better be working really hard, have some heater packs or some liner gloves. Past 15 degrees, I go with mittens or pogies attached to the handlebars.

4. Merino. Always merino as a base layer or two.

5. Craft XC ski pants. “Storm”. The most breathable pants (backs of the legs) that exist that still keep you warm while being windproof. Only vary the thickness of the merino underneath based on temps. I’ve had a few falls and they take some abuse.

6. Below 30 degrees I put the Lake 303’s on.

The Rapha ones are definitely very good and are my first choice. I like both their regular and their mesh ones. The mesh are not really for cold weather, but can be very good on a cool morning when it is going to warm up later in the day. Rapha’s merino arm warmers are also outstanding.

Icebreaker is not cycling specific but have high quality products and range of different types of base layers. A lot of shops carry their stuff, so you might want to see if you can find some locally to try on. Smartwool is another option but generally I find the Icebreaker products a little better quality.

I really enjoy this base layer and the price is great.
https://www.ornotbike.com/products/long-sleeve-baselayer-black

I usually wear LS jerseys from my team which is Castelli and Rapha. Castelli thermal full length bibs are good.

1 Like

+1 on the Craft Active Extreme. I have SS Windstopper and a LS w/o the Windstopper. Essentials!

A MTB inner tube slit open, cut to the shape of your shoe, and placed under the insole of the shoe does wonders. Blocks the vent, and is another layer of insulation. Did this on my vented commuting shoes I use in the winter and they magically got pretty toasty, with thick socks, down into the 20s.

6 Likes

I just bought the Ultimate Windstopper 2 and also Tempo jackets. Tempos going back as the WS is amazing. More like a jersey of the gods than a jacket but with a base layer (or 2 when its proper cold) it’ll cover pretty much all of my winter riding. No wind getting in. Warm but not boiling. Very very pleased.