Everesting and vEveresting Interest Poll

Something to bear in mind if its done on AdZ. I was reading on one of the Zwift forums that if you want Zwift to register the climb, you should go back to the road rumble/mud when descending before turning back around to climb again. Apparently if you turn by the KOM start, it won’t register an new AdZ climb. (they might have fixed this…)

This is only important if you like Zwift to record times climbed and you are after your M a s o c h i s t badge!

1 Like

That’s moderately irritating. Does that mean you won’t get the pop up ADZ map with all the hairpins on it after the initial ascent?

I am not aware of the issue, but it could be true. Despite that, it would be an easy adjustment

Haven’t done a back to back ascents so can’t confirm the below yet…

3 Likes

So what you guys are saying is that at some point I’ll need to, you know, actually register and log in to Zwift to do this, right? :rofl:

I need to figure this out. Probably need an Ant stick for my oldish laptop.

I’ll ask on the Zwift forums later today, see if anyone has an update on this, glad you mentioned it!

1 Like

To get the segment tracker and for zwift to acknowledge the climbs for the zwift achievments, you do need to go past the climb start line by probably 300 meters or until the map and “nearby riders” list switch back to it’s normal mode. Once you turn around it will also give you a new Alp segment tracker. If you don’t do this, you won’t get the segment tracking for each new climb. This doesn’t matter for vEversting as you just need to descend back to the start line of climb, but it is helpful for pacing to have the segment tracking working.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve done ADZ when there was a bug one patch a year ago and the segment map wouldn’t pop on iPad. Definitely much nicer to do it with that map, just for the sake of mentally breaking it down. Distraction techniques like that would make a huge difference on a vEveresting!

1 Like

What about opening this up to include non-TR users, ie. just Zwifters. Missus asked a question about the ADZ turn off and one Zwifter there said to post up when the vEveresting attempt was to get support from their community… which got me thinking, if we set a date and got organised we could post it to Zwift forums too and get their participation.

Would you guys be up for that or want to keep it a TR thing only?

As for the ADZ issue - yes it’s still like that, you haver to go through the gate to reset it all and get the map to pop, as well as the reward wheel at the top. It’s a few hundred meters extra but worth it apparently.

Thinking to run another poll now with possible dates for it. Don’t want to spam the forum with loads of everesting threads but we do need a date, and got nearly 30 guys interested at the moment!

1 Like

I think wide open is good. The more the merrier.

Another thread is fine for a poll. I will close and merge it once its set.

1 Like

I am not a Zwift subscriber currently but I am a FulGaz one and I am sure there are suitable rides on there that I could do it on.

2 Likes

Do they have forums or anything, maybe you could let them know you’re doing this and some might join in?

1 Like

You don’t have to go all the way to/through the gate to get it to reset. The point where the map changes back to the normal map is halfway between the climb start line and the gate (Probably 300m before the gate). When the map changes and you are good to turn around is really obvious once you try it. I never went close or through the gate and it reset and I got the rewards wheel at the top every time.

3 Likes

Ah yes I mis-heard it when the missus’ passed it on.

Got the exact explanation as she was given,

Z Kryder

"Go down till you hit the dirt (or when the turn signal pops up), then make your u-turn. You will see the map reset. Thus, you will get credit toward your 5 and 25 alps as well as reset the spinning wheel at the finish. Strava will count each climb regardless, as will the total elevation. But for just a few seconds longer downhill, you will get all the benefits of the map and timer. "

1 Like

This approach is most likely very much against the official rules, but I would like to do a Half-vE just to see how it feels…

• Run TR and Zwift simultaneously
  • Create a long work-out or use some of the 5-6 hour endurance rides (IF 0.6-0.7)
  • Ride up using the preferred wattage
  • Reduce the intensity/pause workout during downhill - If not taking a break, maybe pedal at like 100W just to keep legs moving, if you want to take a break just pause TR and hop off while the avatar rolls down.

For example, if I did half vE at IF 0.7 (up only) I think it could be a good indicator of how I should pace the real deal. Thoughts?

1 Like

Thinking similar but might try and keep within the rules. Still have to do some experimentation so I may not do an official attempt at this time. We’ve talked before about the Zwift simulation needs to be 100% for the rules. How that is policed I’m not sure.

I’ll be running my Garmin head unit so I know I can track my IF and pause as required. I’ll probably start at around 0.5 as mentioned on the podcast (Jonathan) and at my weight I’ll be going up slow! Not sure if new TR beta shows Interval IF. Probably do a TR free ride and run Zwift at the same time.

Know it would be easier for me, both mentally and physically if I was to use ERG mode. Guessing ERG mode in the rules is a no no? With ERG you wouldn’t feel the different ramps, wouldn’t have to choose gears, can keep flywheel spinning fast, maintain a smooth cadence etc. Over many many hours this is sure to help a little? I guess this is why they have the rules, to make it match the outdoor experience/pain!

Regardless of the above, any endurance event no matter how undertaken will still be an achievement and worthy of taking part in. You’ll still be delivering many watts over many hours, which is no mean feat.

2 Likes

Yeah, ERG mode, fast flywheel, and all the other “good” things about driving via a TR workout are NOT within the rules.

This is meant to be a virtual equivalent of the real thing. As such, it must be done via simulation mode only and 100% Trainer Difficulty within Zwift.

You need.to ride, shift and do all the other “tegular” riding that comes within the Zwift experience. Trying to pull TR workouts into it is a mistake, IMHO.

Anything else is not within the rules or spirit of the experience, and equates to manipulation of the goal.

The climb is a pretty consistent grade. For steady efforts, NP and average power are basically the same. So IF is just fraction of FTP. If you want to target an IF of .5, just write down what 50% of your FTP is. Lap average power or even 5-minute average power should be good.

2 Likes

Yup. AdZ is a steady climb.

If you guys want to use TR for tracking, you can do so by loading a Free Ride (the longest one makes sense) and make sure the trainer is paired in Resistance mode at 0% in the Devices screen.

That will allow you to us TR parallel if you want, but Zwift is still controlling the ride and following the rules.

1 Like

Looks like there was an update yesterday which included an ADZ fix. Map should reset right at the start of the climb apparently. `Will need to test to confirm because I didn’t see it in the patch notes.

1 Like