Evening snacking

Part boredom part habit now. I have a terrible sweet tooth which I try and satisfy with fruit.

1 Like

Itā€™s where to find those extra calories without it becoming junk food. Maybe a good quality cerael?

yoghurt and fruit seems to do the trick for me

beer, butter, biscuitsā€¦the killer bā€™s

1 Like

some great books out there to help with recipes:

• Anita Bean (general nutritional, she was UK natural body building champion)
  • Lim and Thomas (Feed Zone)
  • Alan Murchison (UK duathlete and Michelin starred chef)
1 Like

Do you think this may be part of the problem? You are too strict for a long period of time but when life stress gets introduced or something else rocks the boat then you fall off completely. Iā€™m not saying this is it because I have no way of knowing but itā€™s something to think about. Maybe instead of just going between ā€œIā€™m strict and donā€™t allow any junkā€ and ā€œI canā€™t keep myself from eating junkā€, if your tried to be strict most days but then have 2-3 times per week when you can let go a bit it may be easier to keep it going for longer.

3 Likes

Oh man. I do this too. I am sometimes quite disgusted with myself in the amount of junk food I eat, after my dinner.

I can eat fruit, but Iā€™ll end up eating chocolate and crisps straight after.

What has worked for me previously, is committing to an eating window i.e. no eating after 8pm. I think Iā€™ll try going back to that and brushing my teeth shortly after dinner.

I only want to lose another 2-3kg (currently at 87-88).

1 Like

Absolutely the same here. I need a fix :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately I can vote only once to this!
When the hunger is serious a scoop of casein and some nuts / seeds itā€™s a killer! I sleep like a baby :baby:

You can also try to shorten the time before the meal and bedtime.

A bit more of healthy fat at dinner also helps (it slows digestion)

Someone already mentioned Greek Yogurt 0% fat. Itā€™s been a go-to snack for the last 6 years.

2 Likes

I almost always have cake handy. So when a craving hits, I can take care of it.

And that way I can guilt myself into riding those miles later.

1 Like

So, it sounds like you arenā€™t eating enough.

If weight is not an issue, then I wouldnā€™t feel bad about a 4th meal.

My go-to evening snack has been Fage plain greek yogurt and some blueberries.

1 Like

Some good options here, but IMO this sounds like it has a mental aspect to it as well as a physical, so picking things that are satiating or nutrient-dense isnā€™t going to be much help if you donā€™t work on the habit itself.

One thing that I have found helps is asking yourself how you feel at the time. If youā€™re bored or you find your mind is elsewhere, it might help to change up what youā€™re doing in the evenings. Set aside some time for a hobby, read- anything that you enjoy or keeps you mentally occupied. If youā€™re stressed or upset, make an effort to reduce that where you can and/or figure out alternate coping mechanisms. If you feel like your evening snacking is not serving you on a nutritional basis, chances are itā€™s because itā€™s providing you with something else that could be addressed in a more productive way.

4 Likes

Some great advise here thanks. :+1:

So going forward Iā€™ve started to put a bit of plan together following tips in this thread as well as information from other sources including the trainerroad podcast.

So starting now Iā€™m going to.

1. Weigh myself regularly, maybe 3-4 times per week to monitor daily fluctuations. And follow trends.

2. Log calories in my fitness pal and increase or decrease calories to suit expenditure.

3. Plan meals and snacks ahead of time.

4. Only keep high quality foods in the house.

5. Donā€™t eat in the kitchen. Make planed snack then leave kitchen to eat it. Donā€™t have snack while making snacks.

6. Fuel the work on the bike.

7. Enjoy some treats in moderation.

8. Listen to body.

9. Focus on hydration and drink less coffee.

10. Focus on recovery.

11. Strive for progress not perfection and make small lasting meaningful changes.

Think thatā€™s it for now but sure Iā€™ll think of some more.

9 Likes

amazingā€¦ i think iā€™ll do the same thing

1 Like

Yes, absolutely I think that is the problem. Should find balance instead of on/off model. So mostly healthy diet with some treats here and there.

1 Like

12: be kind to yourself when it doesnā€™t go as planned

All else sounds great!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve found that a cup of hot chocolate is good. Its sweet and chocolate, and a whole cup of it, but is actually quite low in calories (probably depends which one you buy). Also the hot milky stuff helps with sleep.

1 Like

Ghirardelli sells dark chocolate in individually wrapped squares about 60 cal each.

2 Likes

Sorn great tips. Thanks everyone, looking forward to starting a new plan next week

1 Like

I used to struggle with a lot of this all the time, now I struggle with a smaller subset but still manage to do almost as much damage. I think I have the root cause nailed down but I have not found a solid answer yet.

#1 by a mile is my willpower and willingness to say F it and go for the hedonistic pleasure foods are massively impacted by how tired I am. If i start eating after 8 its never going to be because I am hungy, its going to be because I want the enjoyment of the food. There is no correlation with hunger, calorie intake, work load, etc. If i am over tired i am just way way more likely to say screw my long term goals I want a bowl of ice cream, and some chips, and some dip and before you know it its 3000 extra calories. Sometimes this would be okay, but the frequency is creeping up to more like weekly and that makes long term goal progress harder than it needs to be.

#2 is related to the first one, but I dont need to eat crap while watching TV. If i am going to eat some crap I dont need just because I enjoy it why am I doing it while watching tv and not even paying attention to the stuff I am eating. Absent minded TV eating is not worth the expense to my goals, adds a TON of calories, virtually no nutrition. This one has almost no redeeming qualities and just needs to go away. If i could just eat at the table and not eat while reading or watching TV i would eat less of the bad things and more of the good things almost by default. I am going to start to implement this one today and see what comes of it. The willpower one i have less ideas for.

If i could just not eat after 8pm except when out with friends for social events I would have met a ton of my goals years ago. I need to find a way to get 9am me to shout at 9pm me.

4 Likes