Elite Direto and TrainerRoad calibration

Hi, I was doing a spin down calibration on TrainerRoad app on Android for Elite Direto. I changed the circumference to 2105/12.1 ~174 . Then during calibration, I can’t get speed over 2 kmph. If I set the circumference to 2105 ( I am using 700*25 tyre) calibration completes, but after that resistance is so high that I can’t pedal. Am I missing some step or doing something wrong?

Any help in resolving this will be highly appreciated.

I think you need to set the circumference to 173 (I can’t remember why but Elite mention it on their site somewhere).

Don’t worry bout the calibration in TrainerRoad, just do the calibration in the elite app, make sure the number given is,or close to the calibration no. on sticker on bottom of Direto, set the smoothing to 6, and set the smoothing to zero in TrainerRoad. Everything is saved in the Direto from the elite app, so all it needs to do is feed power etc to trainerroad or zwift. Works sweet.
Ps. my wheel circumference is 2070 set in both the elite app and trainerroad.

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem as OP. I have my wheel circumference set to 2096 in both the Elite app and Trainerroad and I still can’t get above 0.6mph. I’ve reset everything, unpaired/repaired. Nothing works.

2096 is the circumference that we recomend with the Direto, that’s strange that the speed is still ~ 0. I would encourage anyone experiencing this issue to reach out to our Support Team at support@trainerroad.com so that we can take a closer look :+1:.

2 Likes

I had the same problem last fall. Turned out if i use 20960 for circumference, it did show speed somewhat ok. But then i lost it again and tbh aside from strava showing low distance it didn’t bother me much to reopen the ticket with TR. Dorito is an odd trainer :slight_smile:

You need to setup your wheel circumference to actual_wheel_circumference divided by 12.1 (in the case of elite direto)

You can see the explanation right here!
http://drive.google.com/uc?id=17rxczaZEMUAS2etP8c-AxQogPySELXTA

1 Like

Hi, is there a resource for recommendations for an Elite Zumo?
Thanks

Sorry to ask what is probably a very elementary question but I also need to calibrate my Elite Direto (I’ve had for over a year and never calibrated so it’s long overdue!). As I understand it I need to use the Elite app. When i do the spin down the app will give me an offset number which I then need to compare to the sticker on the bottom of my unit. If the numbers don’t match am I right in thinking that I then need to physically adjust the belt on the trainer and repeat the process until the numbers match? The reason I’m questioning this is that calibration of other units using different software (e.g. trainer road) don’t seem to require any physical adjustment of the unit to calibrate so I just want to make sure I’m doing this right before I break anything.

Thanks.

• No, I don’t think that is right at all. If it was, there would be explicit instructions to do so.

• The typical purpose of a spindown calibration is the the related app to measure the friction and performance of the system to get a known value, and then adjust the related output to give proper data based on that.

• It’s the same basic concept as performing a Zero Offset for a power meter, or Tare on a scale.

• As a general practice, I’ve never heard that adjusting belt tension should be done. That should only happen when replacing one, AFAIK.

3 Likes

Thanks. I was going off this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf0xsbVd91I.

I will give the spin down a go and see what happens. Maybe the software will automatically calibrate it.

1 Like

@mcneese.chad is right. I own a Direto and have calibrated using TR (desktop) app and Elite app. Both work (tough I can’t seem to get the speed/wheel circumference right but that’s a different topic). You do need to calibrate regularly (especially if temperature changes). The calibration goes fully automatic after spindown. My offset nr has been different from my ‘sticker number’ by >5 on multiple occasions and Elite helpdesk advised me that this was no issue as long as there are no noticeable issues such as belt slipping. They STRONGLY advise AGAINST touching the belt on your own. Never do so without Elite support (has been their advice to me).

Just to share: I have recently been ‘calibrating’ Direto against my Favero assioma pedals. It’s consistently ~12-15W lower on Direto (but very consistent nonetheless). According to Elite support this has to do with the trainer measuring at the hub instead of pedals (W loss in the drive train).

3 Likes

Thanks that’s really helpful. I will give the calibration a go tomorrow.

1 Like

Interesting video. Seems a bit odd to me and maybe lacking in context. Looks like another example where Elite has their own unique way of doing things (and it doesn’t make much sense to me when comparing to other trainers, without more context).

2 Likes

Hmmm - just saw the videos and makes me wonder… I’ll try another calibration on Direto app and see where I get.

Thanks!

• Precisely what I suspected, and a better reason for Elite to make that abundantly clear in the video and supporting text.

As best I can tell, there are two goals of the Direto calibration:

1. Determine the current correct calibration value to update the settings on the Direto firmware

2. Confirm the number is not changing much over time, as if it is, there could be something wrong with the trainer.

I calibrate my Direto once a month. In the 2 years I have owned it, the calibration value has been 6443 every time, compared to the number on the sticker of 6449.

I don’t think you need to do anything to the trainer as long as the calibration number is stable.

2 Likes

There is a comment that states “Elite” wants this video taken down because of bad information. There is a conversation between the poster and Elite where Elite is asking the poster to remove the video. I would not trust this as how correctly calibrating their trainer

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I’m glad I asked the question! I will try calibrating through the software later today.

1 Like