Dry January 2024

Anyone else doing a Dry January in 2024?

Need a reboot for some goals in the new year, since I may have had more beers than miles in 2023. I’ve got some Best Day and Athletic Brewing samplers coming my way.

Might need an accountability buddy or two.

10 Likes

I am. And a Dry February. And Dry March. I don’t drink.

22 Likes

Dry, until your A event or first quarter then see how you feel.

7 Likes

I’ve had around three beers since August this year. I don’t see much changing despite Christmas and the New Year as the benefits for me far outweigh downing a few glasses.

5 Likes

I don’t get this “Dry January” , February/ March thing at all.
If you feel bad about how much you’re drinking what good is a month going to do for you?

Just give it up. Simple.
Or enjoy it without guilt.
I stopped drinking 5 years ago, and have no desire to ever again.

8 Likes

Ive been living the Budweiser Zero lately. Being ina rural area, the food lion doesn’t have much.

2 Likes

It’s not going to hurt, right? :thinking:

Sometimes the nightly glass of wine turns into the nightly 2-3-4 glasses of wine and people need a re-set and use the post-holiday period to do so. Why be critical or dismissive?

I feel like I wandered into a thread where someone was looking for more vegetable-centric recipes and all the vegans showed up lol :joy:

33 Likes

Well, congrats on getting something like alcohol out of your life.

Life is about finding a balance. Sometimes you get out of balance. Then, you have to work on getting back to mid-point. A month has always worked for me.

3 Likes

this is the situation; Reset needed!

And, i’ll take the vegetable-centric recipes too!

2 Likes

Getting sleep tracking on a watch was a major tipping point for me. When I’ve had a couple of beers it records virtually no deep sleep at all instead of the two hours ish I get normally.
Putting data onto something I already knew sealed the deal for me. How could I train and eat so zealously whilst throwing it all away at night?
I’ve been on the quitting train since 2020 with many a hiccup, but I’m finding it easier now.
Good luck with dry January. Maybe try extending it too if you like the changes you see.

6 Likes

I don’t drink a lot these days - maybe 6 beers/week spread over the whole week. I did have a year off drinking in my 20s when I tried to get “serious” about my triathlon performance…had zero effect :grimacing: :laughing:…I have also done races where I have not drunk the night before and ones where I have and provided I don’t have more than 2 it again makes zero difference. Actually did a long run last Sunday morning after a Thai meal and 6 pints the evening before - all my stats were the same…although I did have a headache. :thinking:

4 Likes

I’ve done dry January in the past; generally an overindulgent holiday made me feel like I needed a reset. This past year my wife and I really cut back on habitual drinking (e.g. no more glass of wine with dinner every night) and I’ve found that while I do find the process of drinking enjoyable, the negatives in terms of sleep and how I feel the next day outweigh that positive experience.

So, this year I’m doing Dry Holidays, figuring I might as well just start in December and avoid the overindulge/overcorrect thing. Honestly it’s been great and very easy. I was a bit concerned about social aspects over the holidays (e.g. abstaining at Christmas parties or happy hours) but I think recent years there has been a big bump in non-drinking, so nearly all restaurants where I am have non-alcoholic cocktails or beers available. All in all 10/10 and I don’t envision going back to alcohol any time soon.

4 Likes

Yes you’re probably right re vegans :rofl:
Never meant to be critical or dismissive, just saying my opinion of a thing; “dry January”.

For many years I drank, mainly wine, and as you said, I found myself drinking a few more glasses than I knew was good for me . I never binge drank, but just every day with my dinner and never wanted any after I’d eaten.
I tried cutting down, drinking on Tuesdays, thursdays and sundays only, using a smaller glass(just kept re-filling it) .
You name it ,I tried it, and nothing worked.
Then ,at our motorsport Awards dinner I was sat with three friends (all had given up drinking) and they told me, just choose a day you are giving up and stop drinking.
I thought it would be hard but it was so easy.

I’ve thought of a good one; Dry January in 2024, dry January &February in 2025, dry January,Feb,March in 2026 etc etc. :rofl: :grin:

1 Like

Be careful with not drinking. You’ll end up like me, sober for several years and counting. :laughing:

11 Likes

I like the sound. of this. Last weekend of April is my A-race for 2024, that seems like a doable length of time, especially as my winter drinking is normally minimal.

1 Like

I’m thinking I’m going to do it, but starting on the 2nd when I go back to work

That’s really not how it works

I’m on immunosuppressants, which is great for reducing drinking :sweat_smile:

Having had some problems with drinking in the past, I was teetotal for almost 5 years. Over the last couple of years, I’ve learned to enjoy a couple of glasses of wine with one meal a week, and a beer after a long ride. But it does take some discipline.

Dry January would probably be a good idea for me.

1 Like

Ive found dry January not to be too much of a challenege so decided to do dry december this year. Theres been a huge amount of social pressure but my trainings never been so consistent.

1 Like

In for dry January! How you thinking to do accountability @jcuene ?

1 Like