Dropping Weight, Stretching Peaks, Recovery & More – Ask a Cycling Coach 183

@Johnathan mentioned he was going to list his exercise bands he uses, in the section the guys where talking about knee rehab. He mentioned they where from Amazon.

3 Likes

@Jonathan Said in the podcast that he was going to list his hip exercises from his PT. Where they at?

4 Likes

Was Nate on speed?

Found the info on Pettit and Baxter interesting, that they’re not actually recovery rides.

I’d always been under the impression that they were, but it makes sense :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just wondering what @Nate_Pearson was drinking? As it looks like a pint of Guinness ! Which is straight to the Speciality phase

1 Like

More than likely it was Starbucks Nitro cold brew that had already “settled”.

1 Like

@Ian Loving the forum (especially how much the TR team get involved), but now I’m not sure about how to submit a question to the podcast. I’ve submitted once or twice via the website (pre-forum).

Would it now be better to post a topic in the forum and tag Jonathan/Nate/Chad/Ian to get community feedback on the question AND see if it would be answered on the podcast, or does submitting it via the website still work best for the TR team (and possibly cross-posting in the forum to get community feedback as well).

Yep, that flicked a switch for me too.

@Nate_Pearson Can you guys “up” the volume for the podcasts? I know you guys really try to speak directly to the mic but there is always the odd time, or guest, where that doesn’t occur. I’d far rather have to turn things down than have to max things out and try to hear.

thx for the great content

3 Likes

@Jonathan I am looking at your goal of peaking for the US nationals in July of 2019. Maybe you should try to extend that peak and come to the World mtb championships at Mont Saint-Anne 5 weeks later. Just a thought!

1 Like

I just wanted to comment on the “It would be nice to know what gearing was used during a ride”: Knowing your setup and having cadence and speed/GPS information available you can easily calculate gear ration used post ride from a fit file. Depending on data quality (and how much your gears “overlap”) this should give you a pretty close impression on what was used and if you ran out of gears on either side of the spectrum (or didn’t use the high or low end)

That’s a great question!

I would still recommend submitting your questions to Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast - TrainerRoad so that Jonathan has your questions in his list. This will ensure that he sees your question and it doesn’t get lost in the threads here or on FaceBook. Then you can post it to the forum/FB group to get community feedback and see what others have experienced or recommend on the topic at hand. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree, I often watch the youtube playback during trainer rides and with the fan and the trainer, even max volume can be too quiet at times.

Where do you listen to the podcast? If it’s on Youtube, we are trying to up the volume but it seems it is maxed on our end. The issue with the Youtube audio is I can’t edit it.

For the best quality audio (the audio that is edited by me after the recording), I would recommend listening on SoundCloud, Spotify, or iTunes.

2 Likes

@Ian youtube is where i mainly listen to the podcast just because i then get all the Q&A after the fact.
Good to know its not persistent across the other platforms but still an annoyance.

If I have a Saturday group ride that gets spirited and I feel the tss or quality of the “workout” is sufficient in comparison to the planned workout, I’ll use the calendar feature to substitute my fun ride for the workout. Do that too much and you lose the “structured” benefit of structured training, but it’s kinda the whole reason we’re doin this amiright?

I was kinda hoping this was one of the new features they were foreshadowing.

1 Like

Sometimes I feel like @Nate_Pearson is my heart and @chad is my head.

2 Likes

In the workout text, Chad gives a beer pairing for recovery drinking. “After VO2 Max, have a pale ale. For sweet spot, try an imperial stout.”

4 Likes

I would like to see those too, but as far as I can see there’s no link from @Jonathan posted yet.