Does Stretching Make You Faster, Heat, Bodyweight Training and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 352

I read Becoming a Supple Leopard recently and now try to multitask mobility work where I can. At least the more passive elements. Watching zoom classes or reading while in a couch stretch, foam rolling, or more recently pressing a kettlebell into quads or calves.

Re: attacking when someone is drinking, sure, why not. I sometimes do the opposite as well; taking a drink to either try to incite an attack or signaling that I’m not chasing something (in either case, when I’m on the front).

Kelly starrett is amazing, I have that book and he also recently did an indoor cycling mobility challenge! It was 14 days of different modalities all of which are in the book, but it was nice having a video going along with each mobilization.

Just did this (delete → run plan builder again) and it seems to have messed things up a bit. Also it did keep at least 1 brick on a recovery week.

Issues are more than the brick so I’ll just email support, just wanted to mention it here as well.

I’d be interested in a set of functional range of motion benchmarks akin to the strength training benchmarks. Coming from the ballet world, my sense of “normal” is in a very weird place. (My PT who’s helping me with some hip issues is gently trying to suggest that maybe it’s not great to do things like sit in the side splits for an hour while doing emails, which is greeted by my plaintive cry “but it’s comfortable!”)

Vid and article on Keegan’s big effort.

2 Likes

I found this episode a bit confusing on the stretching deep dive. Chad said multiple times that stretching only helps for 30 minutes after you do the work, so I assumed he was going to say there was no benefit… But then he also said that it was essential and could make long-term changes. What am I misunderstanding?

3 Likes