Does Flonase Hurt Adaptations

Does anybody know if Flonase (fluticasone) has the same potential negative effects on adaptation as antihistamines? Can’t seem to find a clear answer anywhere/maybe one doesn’t exist.

1 Like

I’ve used Flonase in the past and didn’t notice a negative adaptation side effect, but not sure on an N=1 basis how you would figure this out.

But more importantly, at least for me, I didn’t find Flonase that effective

Just be sure to stick to the nasal spray, otherwise it does not comply with WADA regulations.

But to your question, I dont think either will actually blunt adaptions, and even if it did it would still be better than having the symptoms you’re trying to prevent.

2 Likes

I’ve been using it for years and have seen massive fitness improvements. Has it blunted my adaptations, who knows? However I’m sure not using it would have a greater negative affect.

2 Likes

Likely not. Systemic bioavailability is extremely low.

Systemic bioavailability of fluticasone propionate administered as nasal drops and aqueous nasal spray formulations. (the dose used in this study is 16 times the usual dose for allergic rhinitis)

http://www.jiaci.org/issues/vol22issue1/1.pdf

What negative effects? I use Zyrtec about every other day and have never noticed any issues with adaptations. This is is the first time I have heard anyone mention it.

1 Like

https://www.science.org/doi/full/10.1126/sciadv.abf2856

They talked about it on the podcast a whole back as well. Not sure when that was though.

Interesting…I’ll dig into that at some point, but as noted above, my guess is that the benefits of antihistamines for many people outweigh the potential blunting effects of them

Thanks for the link.

1 Like

Note they were using pretty high doses of two of the antihistimanes. Fexofenadine 24-hour is 180mg; they gave 540mg with no time release. Rantidine over-the-counter was (it’s been recalled) normally 150mg, they gave 300mg. Famotidine is 40mg, that’s the same as the normal dose (but the normal use is for treating ulcers and other stomach issues, not allergies)

Be nice to see a followup with H1 only and dose/response relationships. Because adaptation may be impaired with antihistimines, but my breathing is impaired without, and I bet that’s worse.

1 Like

Interesting how we’re all different (as if that actually needed pointing out). I use flucotinase daily and it clears me right up without negative effects, yet give me Zyrtec and I am drowsy and slow.

2 Likes