Mometasone Furoate and Endurance Adaptation

Hey all!

I know that there is evidence that suggests taking antihistamines can blunt the body’s adaptive process to the stress of endurance exercise. Essentially making your training less effective. This, understandably, is something I wish to avoid.

Here in the Southern Hemisphere (Canberra, Australia) it is peak hay fever season. I am wondering if anybody knows of research on the nasal forms of antihistamines, specifically Mometasone Furoate, and its effects on endurance exercise adaptation.

Thanks in advance!

The drug you’re taking is a corticosteroid. It may reduce inflammation and swelling in your upper respiratory tract. I guess that could be a good thing if bronchospasm is a problem for you. These steroids are not anabolic. They are catabolic (loss of muscle mass) and if absorbed significantly all the sides effects that you might expect from Prednisone are possible. This can include acne, stretch marks, cataracts, glaucoma , stomach ulcers, osteoporosis, susceptibility to infections changes in body fat distribution… I can keep going… I know, sounds like a TV commercial.
Obviously you are using this under supervision and if you need it ,I assume the benefits out way the risks.

As stated, mometasone is a steroid, not antihistamine. That said, nasal sprays are low dose and have minimal (if any) systemic absorption, so you should not be concerned about adverse training effects.