Seriously, this Ipratropium stuff is AMAZING

@Nate_Pearson mentioned it in one of the podcasts, but I didn’t take note until the short video about nose breathing. I’ve always suffered from exercise induced rhinorrhea (that’s a runny nose fyi), and it’s crazy bad in cold weather. It gets to the point where I have trouble drinking even light sports drinks like Skratch, because I’d end up with all this mucous in my throat making it hard to breathe during strenuous efforts. Also, I’ve had occasional issues with small skin infections around the base of my nose from constant dribbling/wiping with my glove causing irritation. Ipratropium is an anticholinergic, so when used as a nasal spray, it temporarily stops the mucous glands in the nose from producing mucous. Basically you take a couple sprays 15min before riding, and the runny nose is VERY significantly reduced. I’ve only used it for two days so far, but it has made a world of difference. I’m not sure how long the effects last officialy, but yesterday I used it just before doing a couple hours on the bike in my just-above-freezing pain cave, and then went out for a 2 hour ski. It seemed to last all the way through the bike, with slowly diminishing effect through the ski. So, that was about 6 hours total, I maybe should have topped up before the ski. Funny enough, my partner is an ENT, and I asked her why she never told me about this stuff. Apparently I hadn’t complained enough about my runny nose for her to know it was such an issue… She also tells me that Ipratropium has a low level of systemic absorption, so it doesn’t move well from where it is sprayed into your bloodstream, which is a good thing. Basically it only effects the area it is applied to. Also, I did a search on the WADA banned substances list, and don’t see it, so as far as I can tell, all good in that regard.

5 Likes

Interesting. I often struggle with similar issues. I checked Global Dro and its not prohibited.

2 Likes

Oh cool, I wasn’t aware of that site!

1 Like