I am struggling to increase my FTP. If there is anyone that can offer any advice or motivation that would hugely helpful. I apologize in advance for a longer post, I’ll try to be brief and to the point.
I’m turning 40 this year, between 166 and 171 pounds typically, 5’ 11”. I work 40 to 50 hours a week in a moderately stressful job, and two wonderful kids aged 3.5 and 15 months.
I started mid volume plans last August (2020) and I haven’t seen much improvement. Prior to this I was a typical low volume user for a couple years seeing my FTP bounce between 200 and 235.
Here is my Mid Volume progression:
- Start of SSB MV 1 – 231 watts – August 2020
- Start of SSB MV 2 – 235 watts – September 2020 – 4 watt increase
- Start of Sustained Power Build MV – 235 – October 2020 – No change to FTP
- Mid plan Sustained Power Build MV – 250 – November 2020 – 15 watt increase
- Start of SSB MV 2 – 245 watts – December 2020 – 5 watt decrease
- Start of General Build MV – 250 watts – February 2021 – 5 watt increase
- Mid plan General Build MV – 244 watts – today – 6 watt decrease.
Super frustrated. What are some potential limiters?
Genetic potential? I don’t think so. I wouldn’t say that I am a gifted athlete, but I have always been active either in sports, lifting, or through the Army. In my early 20s I could run 3 miles in 18 minutes. I wouldn’t think that I’ve reached my potential, well, I hope not.
Poor nutrition? Maybe. I don’t eat terrible but there is always room to improve. I don’t count calories or macros. I try to fuel my workouts with carbs, drink SIS recovery drinks, and a casein protein shake morning and/or night depending on how I’m feeling. I usually feel I have enough in the tank for the workouts.
Not enough rest? Possible for sure. My Garmin watch tells me my 7 day average sleep is 6h 41m which is actually more than I thought. Again, two young kids…
Overtraining? I don’t think so. Although it has been a process to get up to a mid volume level, I feel pretty comfortable with it now.
I feel like I’m putting in the work and not getting the reward. My 3 week TR TSS average is 355, 6 week TR TSS average is 314, and 9 week TR TSS average is 315.
Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I’d really like to see an increase from the second half of this build phase.