Cycling Memes and Jokes

I’m totally fine with working through different units. Do the math and the jobs done.
I had to to work in perches and links the other day.

Writing down the date MM/DD/YYYY makes no sense at all.

Can things go back to taking the piss out of funny stuff going on at the moment? With a cycling theme of course.

2 Likes

I work globally. I just use DD-MMM-YYYY. It makes sure everyone understands. You can’t mistake 21-DEC-2020.

7 Likes

We wonderful Canadians did manage to do the biggest imperial/metric screw-up ever.

I firmly believe we should all use ISO 8601 personally.

That way nobody is happy except for programmers.

9 Likes

I’m going to start sharing my ride distances in KMs but revelation in ft, that way my ride numbers look bigger

2 Likes

https://www.wired.com/2010/11/1110mars-climate-observer-report/#:~:text=Nov.-,10%2C%201999%3A%20Metric%20Math%20Mistake%20Muffed%20Mars%20Meteorology%20Mission,units%20from%20English%20to%20metric.

2 Likes

:rofl: True story. He waited for me to get close and then dropped me up the 1km hill. Never to be seen again.
I hope it was an e bike!!!

(Edit: I actually hit my fastest lap for the year around the very popular river loop today. Loads of bikes out and not a single bike passed me which is rare. That’s what made it so funny even though it had a motor).

11 Likes

“English to Metric”

As an Englishman and a scientist (kinda), I resent that label.

1 Like

I remember earlier this year, a few weeks after the start of lockdown in the Uk when the roads were dead. I was out on a long-ish ride. I was coming through a small village, and reaching the hardest part of the ride. As you leave the village, the road tilts up, and it’s a 2k slog into the prevailing wind at 3-4%. Then it turns sharp right, giving you a few hundred metres of false flat, before turning sharp left and hitting a ‘proper’ climb (6-7% for a little over 3k). It’s a tough 5-6k stretch, especially when you’ve got a few km fatigue in your legs.

Anyway, as I was a few hundred metres into the first drag, I saw someone pull out of a side road just before the road turns right, and immediately set my mind on catching them. He probably had a 300m headstart. On the false flat section I seemed to be gaining steadily, though I did note his low cadence seemed odd. Up the proper climb I killed myself - I think I’ve only ever gone about 5s faster up there - and took 50 metres at most out of the guy.

Just before the road reaches the top there’s a car park (and a small nature reserve). I see this guy casually dismount and wander over towards the ice cream van. He’s 60 if he’s a day. He’s barely out of breath. As I slog past him, gasping for air, thinking about jacking it all in, I see it… he’s on an ebike :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :rofl:

7 Likes

And now back to our regularly scheduled funny stuff…

unnamed

11 Likes

Despite having only ever lived in America, I do everything involved with cycling. What’s not to love…I weigh less, ride further, faster and its an much easier system to use.

Van life word of warning.

7 Likes

What a shitty joke…

5 Likes

I thought it was a turd, too.

3 Likes