Covid-19, Anyone else think they have it?

I’ve not tested positive because I haven’t been tested, but I’m 90% sure I’ve got it.

I live in Switzerland and went away for a stag weekend so I’m not sure if my early symptoms were that or a prolonged hangover. The first time I didn’t feel right was a few days after that weekend, going out for runs but feeling heavy and short on breath. By the following Friday I had a headache and tiredness, and just wanted to go to bed early.

The next day i had mild flu like symptoms, headache, jaw, eye socket, lower back aches, mild fever. I woke up Sunday night short of breath. For the following week my symptoms gradually subsided except the dry cough. (my girlfriend who I live with also has this but without the flu symptoms)

I tried to return to the indoor trainer for low intensity rides and both times the shortness of breath came back the night following. With last Saturday and Sunday being the worst. Today I feel I’m getting better again and have decided to take the week off no matter how I’m feeling.

My advice to anyone that thinks you have it is to rest up until you are sure you are over it. You can’t train if you can’t breathe and you might well prolong the infection.

This is my experience. I am relativity young (32) and fit doing triathlons for the past couple of years, I don’t smoke or normally drink (except that stag weekend) relatively good diet. I think I caught it the weekend of the 7th March and still have symptoms. I normally have mild asthma but do not take any medication for this.

You lose your sense of smell or taste by any chance?

Are you able to request a test? I know Norway is testing folks who present with your symptoms and were traveling recently, and if you test positive you could let everybody at your party know to self-quarantine (and help your local hospitals plan ahead).

1 Like

I am not sure if I have it or not, my symptoms are a sore throat, fatigue and a bit of stomach ache. I don’t have a fever or a cough but I don’t seem to be getting better. I did have a slow outside ride yesterday without any breathlessness so hopefully not.

I started with a mild cough about a week ago and then a few days later my whole body started aching along with a general feeling of fatigue and shivers. Shivers have now gone, I generally feel better but still aching in the mornings and have now mostly lost my sense of taste. Hoping this means that I am on the other side of it, not had a fever so seems like a very mild case.

No test but I don’t think I’ve ever had any kind of flu symptoms that I can remember and it’s been a very long time since I’ve even had a cold, so it seems likely that it’s covid-19.

Fortunately this coincided with a planned rest week so have just been doing recovery and Z2 rides, but tbh that was probably more than I should have done. Hoping I can get back to it later this week.

Nice post. Good luck with your recovery.

@Stephen_Gibson,
I’m also a resident of Switzerland and the federal, cantonal, and Gemeinde authorities would all appreciate it you notified them to confirm. If you’re still having problems 23 days out for a viral infection that typically manifests in 5-12 days, you do seem to be fighting something. You may – hopefully – only have an “ordinary” flu or a cold or something else, but right now error on the safer side and phone your doctor and discuss.

You don’t want to run out to Migros or Coop or even a Denner and spread it.

1 Like

ask the experts:

Hi,

I seem to have add all the same things, feeling cold all the time… and the lack of energy.

I want to restart my training, and think of some long Z2 work for a week what do people think, too much, been ill for over a week now it has taken its toll. i have lost my appetite cant face food at all.

I felt some post nasal drip coming on yesterday and started losing my voice last night. Woke up with a super sore throat and very little voice. Not sure about having a fever…I usually run 98.0 and I’m running 98.9 today…don’t feel that bad. Not sure what to think, I guess I just have to wait and see how it plays out.

• a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
  • a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)

Please get tested or at the very least talk to your medico. The number in my screen name represents my birth year…that’s right, 1942. That puts me right in the center of the target zone of vulnerability for Covid-19 except I don’t have any underlying conditions. Depending solely on TR for my strategy, my biological age is about 60 (as that test provider measures biological age). Using worldfitnesslevel.org I find that my fitness age (as they measure fitness age) is similar to the average person 25+ years younger than me. Like everyone else, I had no idea Covid-19 was just around the corner, but I am better prepared for it than the vast majority of my demographic peers. I’ve done my “homework”. The key element upon which I depend now is out of my control…that being the choices made by those people I can’t avoid encountering as we all move together through this thing. Whether or not acknowledged, people near me are similarly dependent on my choices as are those in close proximity to the personal choices of anyone reading this.

1 Like

I think I might well have had it. Had similar level symptoms to the OP but my wife had it worse and completely lost her sense of smell too. We’re all on the mend now and I’ve started on a TR program to keep me motivated. (I took two weeks off the bike whilst I was feeling rough). I was lucky in that I’d had worse colds that this, my wife’s was about as bad as a mild flu.

I may have had it – would be a guess though given you can’t get tested here in the UK at the moment. Had some very mild symptoms, severe headache, temp that comes and goes, dry cough, slight tightness in the chest after a ride. Without the weird temp (and the knowledge that this is going round) I’d put it down to just a slight cold/chest infection. That and a riding buddy almost certainly had it (more severe symptoms). My partner had a dry cough for about a day but she has some sort of super-human immune system and has claimed to have never been ill (despite myself and all our kids getting countless infections over the past 20 years she has not had a day off work).

I’m going to have to assume I’ve not had it and continue to self-isolate but I’ve stopped runs and rides until the chest tightness has gone.

Real problem is that (at least here in the UK) there is no testing for the general public. We can only hope that a home test kit comes on the market in the next few weeks.

I have personally had 10 days of shortness of breath, chestiness but no particular cough, and generally been wiped out. No fever and not felt “ill” as such, but it’s really hanging around. Can’t say I’ve ever experienced symptoms like this, but it feels so unlikely that it’s COVID-19. Just need to wait I suppose.

I would talk to your doctor for advice but if it was me I would certainly take more the a single week off.

Hello, I am already in contact with them to see if they had similar symptoms. 1 out of 10 did.

1 Like

My rule of thumb is that I never force myself to train if I feel even slightly ill. In the long run it pays to enjoy being lazy for a few days then feel super motivated to resume once you feel well

Thanks for all your advice. I had been isolating since the I first day I had symptoms. I actually recontacted my doctor today following these posts. They recommended I get tested as I have asthma and its been 17 days since the first symptoms. I can’t praise the medical professionals who dealt with me this afternoon enough. Amazing job! They have like a testing production line going on. Need to wait 1-2 days to find out the results.

3 Likes

I’ve learned is the best approach for me as well. Some people seem to be able to train their way through something like a cold. Not me. It will definitely get worse