Connect Garmin to trainer

Goes anyone connect their Garmin Edge to their trainer for TrainerRoad workouts, and if so why? Are there any advantages in doin so? Cheers.

it would be possible, but I’d always prefere using my (android) phone. The “workout player” in the mobile app has more visual guides and easier options to +/- the intensity. Also it’s easier to make last minute changes to the schedule (alternatives, longer/shorter, other workout) without waiting for the sync to garmin.

There are some metrics in Garmin connect that will not show up for “external” workouts, but most metrics (vo2max calculations, training load, load focus do still update after using trainer road mobile or desktop app and syncing the workout to garmin connect when it’s done).

1 Like

It is possible to do so – you could push your workout to your Garmin as an Outside Workout, which would allow you to load your workout onto your head unit.

There aren’t necessarily any advantages in doing so – you could use your head unit if you prefer it over your computer/tablet/phone, though.

We wouldn’t recommend recording your workouts on your computer/tablet/phone and your Garmin, however. Dual recording is a common cause of connectivity issues, which can lead to data dropouts during your workout.

I dual record my TrainerRoad workouts. I know I don’t have too, but just habit at this stage!

I’ve been recording my Trainerroad sessions on my Garmin basically from day one. No issues at all except when my wifi was at channel 10. That was a bad idea.

I’ve also tried doing Garmins workouts on my Kicker. More complex workouts didn’t work so well for me as erg mode was annoyingly imprecise. To me, exporting TR workouts to Garmin and then run them on a trainer seems wrong if avoidable.

Running TR workout directly from a :window: or Android have been superior for me although I dual record.

I suspect up above that Zack is really talking about dual-control type scenarios, rather than just passive recording of the power signal. Potential dual-control scenarios will absolutely wreck havoc on the signal. But passively recording the ANT+ signal on your Garmin as a power meter won’t have any impact.

However, Zack may be trying to mitigate against people pairing via the Bluetooth side, on trainers that only support a single BT channel concurrently, blocking either the app or Garmin side from seeing the data.

3 Likes

last week I tried to solve some issues with an indoor session running on my edge 840… connect had an avg power 189 and strava showed only 177 watts avg (real avg, no NP formulas).

Investigated something similar with a buddy a while back and found that connect might use cumulative power (to eliminate data drops). So for example when you get every second a value:
200, 200, 200, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 200, 200 , the 5 zero’s will half your average (1000/10=100) if you where actually pushing 10 seconds 200… while cumulative power will show: 200, 400, 600, 600, 600, 600, 600, 600, 1800, 2000 (2000/10 = 200).
here is a real example, data from the fit file of the next screenshot (jagged power):

56681 - 55893 = 788
788 / 4 = 197, when cumulative is used for the average, it will be the real avg… strava unfortunately doesn’t

The connect app does show a very jagged graph for power:

So tried to solve this by connecting the trainer (kickr core) via bluetooth, but that simply doesn’t exist… you can only use ANt+ to connect a controllable trainer to your edge, It does seem possible to connect only to the kick power via bluetooth…
So I decided to remove the battery from my 4iiii left PM, but in the mean time also a firmware update was installed, but the next session was flawless:

Anyway, long story short… data drops can probably happen more easy when there are multiple devices sending out data or trying to connect to something…

2 devices (e.g phone + laptop) trying to control the same trainer is very messy… in that case the ERG power target will keep jumping around from the workout value to some default from the other device…

Honestly, something else is up. If you’re connecting both on ANT+ FE-C or BT FTMS, weird things happen. Whereas, if you connect passively to the power meter side (ANT+) of the signal, there shouldn’t be any issues (I do this daily with 3-5 devices and have never seen an issue related to it).

4 Likes