Coffee - Show us your set up

Check the list I made a few post above this.

There a few very helpful tools in there and some videos that may or may not help you dialing in it!

Make sure you get fresh coffee!

1 Like

I have the same machine and I would say this is spot on.

1 Like

Thanks! I have been following James Hoffman for a while so I am familiar with some of the nuances. Still a lot to learn.

Bottomless PortaFilter is definitely on my shopping list. And I have a local roastery ~10 minutes away so that is where I am getting my beans from!

1 Like

Time for an upgrade…

After a few months with a second hand E61, I “slowly” realised what I wished to have in a machine:

• Dual boilers
  • PID
  • High steam pressure

Aaaaand that landed me here:

Really is night and day between the new one and the old one. No need to flush the group to bring the temperature down before pulling the first shot, steaming pressure is out of this world (got it maxed out at almost 2 bar) and rotation pump instead of vibration one is just fantastic with the lower noise levels!

11 Likes

That’s the 700?

I have a 600. Love it!

Correct! :smiley: couldn’t be more happy! Such a joy to be able to have such consistency!

1 Like

Bought the stuff that @Joelrivera recommended:

and we are still waiting to setup the Barista Express on a minor kitchen remodel. In the meantime our local discount store, that carries returns from Costco and other retailers, has Nespresso original cups at around $5 for a sleeve of 10.

4 Likes

once you star brewing with the new toys, let me know how it goes!

At the moment I’m about to ‘Nespresso’ another Peet’s “Intensity 11: Nerissimo is espresso’s bittersweet, pleasantly biting answer to those who say you can’t have dessert all day.” With half and half, and hold the sugar please I’ll have some on tonights ride :wink:

1 Like

Do they have this basket in a single dose?

I think most people consider 18 to 20g of ground coffee single.

Everybody is different but I believe that general consensus is a single dose is ~8-12 g and a double dose is ~17-20g.

ECM Synchronika Espresso Machine With Flow Control, ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder. Fully plumbed, water and waste.

7 Likes

Yes, i am aware.

My point is that most people do double for a number of reasons… One been that is very much harder to pull a good single shot using less grounds.

Expanding on that using more is probably giving people more tolerance, thus keeping you away from the cliff edge…

The cliff edge… My understanding is that sometime using less grounds will cause the water to extract more out of the coffee than desirable, things like that can cause bitterness…

Dosage depends of the coffee you are extracting from thus there isn’t really a right weight as you have expressed it’s very variable…along with your water temperature, hotter and you get more extracted from the grind…grind size … it goes on and on…

Alright now this thread has re-piqued my interest.
Let’s talk plumbing. What did you go with? I’m currently running a Expobar Brewtus IV-R which is built for plumb in, but i’m running it off a 20L water jug in the bottom of a cupboard.

The cupboard sits above our mechanical room which does have all of the water lines, etc. there so if I can drill through the bottom of the cupboard I’ll be in the room with ability to plumb stuff up. What did you go with setup wise for your purification/softening? I’m trying to decide what I need and cost is like 2k.

I went with a BWT Water Filter system. Nice writeup here https://www.wholelattelove.com/blogs/articles/bwt-water-filters-for-espresso-machines

I got a pro for the plumbing, which includes drilling the quartz tabletop, plumbing in the waterline, filter system installation, and plumbing waste line into the home wastewater system. You are looking at around $1000 USD (includes all equipment and labor) depending on where you live.

1 Like

Small kitchen remodel almost complete, still waiting for the lower cabinets to be finished.

Setup the Breville Barista Express and it’s a little crowded on the counter until we do something with the Keurig.

Step one was figuring out the grind setting for the local beans we bought. Watched this video:

The basic gist is put 18g of grinds in the portafilter, and use a scale to time how long it takes for 36g of liquid to fill a cup. A little frustrated that our kitchen scale started registering weight once I started brewing even though it took close to 10 seconds before the espresso started coming out. By the 3rd or 4th try I had a pretty darn good cup of espresso with grind set to 3.

Looking for recommendations on any other how to YouTube videos.

1 Like

27-30 seconds to brew 40g espresso from 20g of beans.
Timing starts when you press the button, not from the first drop

2 Likes
1 Like