Post Your Pump!

I see bikes and workout rooms getting a lot of love on here. TR talks a lot about fueling your ride, etc. But no one ever talks about one thing that every cyclist needs to get them going:

This is my day one hog. It’s been with me since the brakeless fixed-gear days. I pay a little more on insurance because it’s red, but worth it RIGHT??/
I recently lubed the piston. The little white on the head is some plumbers tape to make a good seal. I need to reapply some griptape soon.

5 Likes

My Silca 1980s pump with brass air head. Blackburn with the new Silca aluminum head. And my neighbors are in their 80s and recently gave me the Nashbar and Zefal frame pumps. The Silca has been restored and working but it’s a workout to pump tires!

5 Likes

4 Likes

Ok they are not strictly all pumps but this is my main inflation equipment.

My 12 year old Edinburgh Bike CoOp track pump started to be a bit erratic so I replaced it with a Specialized Airtool about 3years back. I brought the co op pump back to life with a new head but it didn’t fit disc wheel so its in a cupboard somewhere.

I finally got a hand pump I was happy with (a Lezyne aluminium) but it flew out of my pocket on a lunchtime workout week and a bit ago (in hindsight I should have scoured the verge for it). So its got replaced with an aluminium Pro Bike Tool Minipump.

The back up for my lost Lezyne was the BBB plastic hand pump. But although Im tubeless on most bikes and will likely use the Mucoff CO2 pump I decided I preferred the feel of an Aluminium pump in my pocket and the PBT pump look similar.

Lastly I have a Beto air tank for those tubeless tyres.

I probably have a few other hand pumps lying around. I used s Topeak micro Carbon one for years until it died and the Blackburn Airstick I replaced it with never cut the mustard. So that led me to the old Lezyne. Family have sometimes bought ones fo Christmas presents (I’ll never use but never tell them that) and I experimented with a combined CO2 adapter/pump but found it unreliable and had a plastic Lezyne that failed before I got the aluminium one.

1 Like

I retested to hear about this one. I have a whole bunch of Ryobi tools.
Do you think this generates enough air volume to sit a MTB tubeless tire?

1 Like

I love my Specialized Air Tool Comp

I found rubber rings at Home Depot that are an exact match for the inner sleeve plunger.

I replaced them every year or so and use a bit of vaseline as lube.

3 Likes

I use it for top ups, not seating tires, so unfortunately I am not sure.
My educated guess from using it, is that it does not deliver enough volume rapidly to compete with an actual compressor.

The handle broke on my 90s Silca. I didn’t think it was worth paying for a new handle, but this old crank and some JB weld gave it a new lease of life… as Ghetto Silca

10 Likes

TrainerRoad needs to add a “Love” :heart: Best pump Hack ever!

4 Likes

3 Likes