Coffee - Show us your set up

Single dose is the future of coffee… (specially espresso)
Most people dont need to grind for 20 people in 1 hour. Even if you have a party you can get away with a single dose grinder.

The biggest problem is getting a grinder that can actually do single dose.
The less expensive is the Niche Zero. But good luck getting one. (for about 800-900)
Then the jump is massive (to over 1500 for a single dose grinder).
There are non specific grinders that can do single dose just fine (like the eureka Mignon), but they are also not cheap.
If you want to go even less expensive, you can go with Baratza Sette. But good luck with it. Quality is a hit or miss, and once it break once, you will never get it to how it was from factory.

1 Like

Yeah but I just weigh out the amount of beans I want and grind that… Hey presto, single dose ground :wink:

1 Like

There are multiple problems on grinders.
The worse of all is retention.
I wish I could find a grinder that you could do what you describe cleanly. But there are not many that can do that at a affordable price.

I see you do pourovers and other non-espresso beverages.
Maybe the fellow Ode will work for you?
Maybe a manual grinder?

Just get a scale and weigh in whatever amount…
Grind and make sure you get the same amount out.

I would look to a few of this guy videos…
he is very good

1 Like

Has anyone here taken a barista class online ? I’m looking at baristahustle.com and curious if anyone else has used them or anyone else. I love coffee and want to learn more about it. Thanks in advance :call_me_hand:

Do you mean losses between what goes
in and what comes out?

I do notice some differences, and I seem to struggle to make sure all the beans get ground. But ultimately it seems close enough and certainly more palatable than putting out a few hundred quid!

I suppose if I was worried I could just over-grind and accept some wastage. I could accept a lot of wastage before it added up to the price of one of these things…

The problem is when you put 17g in and get 17g out, but 5g of the 17g you get out is actually from yesterday’s coffee, and 5g of what you put in is still in the grinder waiting to come out tomorrow. That’s what is meant by retention.

3 Likes

Exactly. You need to make sure you get all of it out… Everytime…

Niche has no retention from what I have read

Did you want espresso or coffee drip machine? I have a technivorm moccamaster with the carafe and it is amazing. For espresso have the cafelat robot which is a lever espress machine. One thing though is a good grinder (for espresso especially) is where you want to put most of the $$. For milk drinks I use a very cheap french press.

6 Likes

Yeah, that figures.

I most often do 300ml on a 16:1 ratio in the Chemex which means around 19g. In a totally unscientific test this morning I weighed 19g in and then had 19.5g in the chemex - I ran the grinder through after it was “empty” for longer than usual to try and make sure I definitely caught everything, so there’s definitely an amount of retention going on, although it doesn’t look to be a lot.

After the temperature issues, the next thing I found with the chemex is getting the right grind size to get the pour through time where you want it to be for extraction - especially when you’re using different roasts, they all behave differently, so even if you keep the grinder setting the same you can find a quite big difference between say, a very light and a very dark roast.

Anyway, thanks for putting me onto a problem I didn’t know I had :laughing:

1 Like

Single dose fans!
rejoice!
There is a new “affordable” single dose grinder that will directly compete with the niche zero in price and probably quality!

initial reviews have been good!
maybe xmas gift!

2 Likes

I picked up the Moccamaster w/carafe last month. Absolutely love it! Didn’t know what I was missing or I would have bought it sooner. Same coffee, same water, same ratio, but tastes very different compared to the previous drip machine. I didn’t think it tasted bad before, but it definitely tastes a lot better now. Even my wife noticed, asking me if I had switched beans or the ratio.

Have french press as well as v60 pour-over, but haven’t touched them since the Moccamaster arrived.

Technivorm Moccamaster :+1::+1::+1:

13 Likes

I got a switch that I can turn on and off with the phone and connected it to the coffee maker. Every night I prepare the coffee maker and turn it on (the switch is turned off) and when I wake up I just turn it on with the phone from bed. I drink my first cup of coffee in bed most days and it’s really nice not having to get up, turn it on, sit and wait or go back to bed and have to get up again.
Without a contest the best thing I’ve bought since my Castelli Perfetto jacket three years back.

1 Like

love my Pavoni.

14 Likes

i mean…it looks very cool and all… but the price!
:skull:

Ridiculous…

1 Like

The good thing about Espresso machines is that they make a new bike seem like a bargain!

Wonder how many will sell!

With all the fan boys? All of them?
The machine is a great machine. But for that price, you can get a MUCH better machine

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking… A niche product, intended for a select few.

Correct about what else one could purchase for that money ( or A LOT less)