Coffee - Show us your set up

as I have been starting the process of looking for a new machine, is there something else you would suggest. I am curious

Whats your budget?

Am I missing something, or is that Rapha/Rocket thing just a reskinned version of their (entry level) Appartamento machine?

It’s a reskined version of their R58 Cinquantotto. Normally retails for $3200 USD, so you’re paying $400 for the Rapha details.

1 Like

AH!
I mean… its better, but not great.
400 premium?
I mean… it looks super cool…
but I rather have a Profitec 600 pro + a niche grinder…

And even the $400 premium is being kind, if you’re comparing it to buying from some of the retailers in the US. I’ve had an R58 for about 18 months and you can likely get a better warranty, and a bunch of extras thrown in that are worth a fair amount, coffee, extra baskets, filter heads, gaskets, coffee etc.

And I’d want to know who I’m calling if I need service later? Someone here in the US can work on it but I’d rather be calling the cats who sold it to me.

Or a “Decent Espresso” Machine.

Isaac

2 Likes

Yes love mine when I use it which to be honest is not as often as before since I have been enjoying my Cafelat robot, bellman steamer for a daily cortado

Can anybody recommend a decent hand grinder to use on a road trip. Doesn’t have to be high-end/super durable, as it will only get a few dozen uses, but I’d like one that does a fairly good, fairly consistent grind

I swear I’ve seen that gaggia on ebay a few times before, or it’s common magnet.

Now THAT is interesting. I’ve never seen that machine before. Crazy unique design.

Is it the grind or brew that is loud? I ended up making this for my Sette 270 so I didn’t wake the entire house at 5:15am.

LINKY LINKY

pretty open at the moment. I would say in the 1-4K range.

In the 2500 range i think you will find your forever machine. Dual boiler machine is what you probably want. Then you will want a very good grinder. Be ready to spend 800 to 1k for a grinder. Look for single dose grinder if you are only doing espresso. There are two single dose espresso grinders under 1k, the niche and an eureka i don’t remember it’s name. The eureka should be out by now.

The profitec are very good machines.

Look for dual boiler and pid

1 Like

I’ve binned it a few months ago - no point having things you don’t use. It’s was the brew.

As mentioned by @Joelrivera, I’d recommend a dual boiler machine with PID control such as the Profitec Pro 600, Profitec Pro 700, and ECM Synchronika. The latter two have identical internals, but have different panels and controls. Pair it with a grinder like a Niche, Eureka Oro Mignon, or even a DF64 and you should be right at or under the $4k budget limit.

I understand another strategy is to start with a more basic machine (e.g., single boiler). From what I’ve seen and also personally experienced, if you start to really enjoy espresso and start to nerd out on it, you will want to eventually upgrade. With that said, there are many people who are satisfied with the more basic machines and have no plans to move up to anything else.

2 Likes

I’ve got a Timemore Slim that I use with a V60 when traveling. Solidly built, not too expensive and does a good enough job for traveling. There is also the C2 which is more affordable but has some more plastic parts inside so may not be as reliable. The C2 is only about $80 on amazon.

A profitec 600 and a eureka oro mingnon is well under your budget and it’s a great setup

Personally if it is a short ish trip just grind before and take it with you. I get what you want but if it is short and you wont use it again don’t bother

thanks for the suggestions. 2 week trip, so prefer to grind daily : )

1 Like