Cheapest Tablet

I have an ancient Galaxy E-Tab 7ā€, iPad Pro 3rd gen, smaller and older iPad, Pixel 3, and Nexus. All of them are great for Bluetooth, none of them pick-up the Ant+ signal on my old-ass Quarq Elsa R. They all have exactly the same functionality realized on the bike, Iā€™d say the iPad Pro and Pixel 2. the Ant+ dongle never works with the adapters on any of my devices, but my BLE connector does.

Excuse my ignorance but what does side load mean?

The amazon tablets donā€™t have a way to load the google play app, so getting an app from google play requires some hackery, known as sideloading. The easiest way to get TR on an amazon tablet is to load the google play app. Then updates are handled automatically. The amazon tablets are running Android, so there are no issues otherwise, and they have the ability to load an app manually. I just followed a tutorial

2 Likes

$12 alternate route. I run TR on an Iphone 6s, using a Stages spin bike at the gym. Iā€™m 51 and about a year ago noticed I had to hold things (ie prescription med bottle) farther and farther away to be able to read it. I got a Tryone gooseneck phone holder on Amazon that I clamp to the spin bike ā€œaero barsā€, and then shove it as far away from me as far as it will go. Crystal clear view from the drops, works like a charm, and meets the ā€œcheapā€ criteria

1 Like

I run TR on Amazon Fire 10 tabletā€¦got it used recently. I was running TR on an older Fire 7 and have noticed a nice performance improvement by upgrading to the 10 (less device dropouts, no lagging when running TR. Iā€™m happy with the TR/Fire 10 combo.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t aware that the Kindles could run TRā€¦?

Also, what about ANT+ and BT on a Fire?

Exactly what Iā€™ve doneā€¦ itā€™s super easy to do and so far so good.

BT works fine on the Fire. Not sure how to do Ant+

You may want to check the Galaxy Tab S2. It features a polished aesthetic and a fairly competent set of specs, but only recently has this been at a price that makes it an excellent tablet for those with less cash on hand.

Lenovo 4 tab. TR generally runs fine, though searching and refreshes are slower than Iā€™d like. In ride, no stutters. The deal breaker is the touch screen is not responsive enough. It takes way too many tries to get clicks to register on menus when Iā€™m deep in a workout (pause, difficulty, ā€¦ menu, etc)

Dont know the prices in the US. But in Europe I would buy the low end normal iPad. Price/ Quality is nowhere similiar. IMHO.

59,00 Euros amazon fire (2015)

Anyone using a samsung galaxy tab 2?

I have always used an Ipad for my trainerroad workouts. My ipad just died and so I have to replace it. I can get a amazon fire pad or a pad that runs android MUCH cheaper, but iā€™m worried the TR app wont run as smoothly. anyone have experience to share?

I use TR on an amazon fire tablet and have no issues. I have the 10" tablet.

Not sure how much cheaper the android pads are, but iPads are on pretty good sale for Prime Day right now.

1 Like

I am (and have for many years). Works very well for ANT+. I do keep it plugged in during my ride to ensure it doesnā€™t conk out, but I probably only need to do that for the longer TR rides. I use the tablet a lot for reading and online content, so my battery is never 100%

1 Like

I use TR on an amazon fire tablet and have no issues. I have the HD 8 tablet.

2 Likes

For any that are interested -

I will second the amazon fire HD 8 with TR side loaded. Iā€™ve used it for several rides and had no issues **but your devices must be bluetooth. I have a Stages power meter, Tacx Bushido TDF, and Tickr HR strap. Works better than my laptop (although my laptop is old).

Side loading isnā€™t hard. Iā€™m not a computer guy and I was able to get it set up in less than an hour. Hereā€™s the basic way: https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

Iā€™m not sure of the other Fire tablets, but at least for me was no issue.

2 Likes