Android tablets with the new app

Does anyone have experience running the new Android app on low or mid-range tablets?

I’m in the market for a new tablet that will only be used for TR and occasional media consumption. As every other device I have is Android or Windows I’m considering an Android tablet over an iPad.

I have narrowed it down to two Samsung tablets, but I haven’t been able to verify if these will run TR smoothly. I have added the most important spec below.

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite
Chipset: Mediatek MT8768T Helio P22T (12 nm)
CPU: Octa-core (4x2.3 GHz Cortex-A53 & 4x1.8 GHz Cortex-A53)
Memory: 3GB RAM
Android 11

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7:
Chipset: Qualcomm SM6115 Snapdragon 662 (11 nm)
CPU: Octa-core (4x2.0 GHz Kryo 260 Gold & 4x1.8 GHz Kryo 260 Silver)
Memory: 3GB RAM
Android 11

Anyone have any ideas if any of these tablets will be powerful/good enough to run the new TR app?

I run a Galaxy Tab A with no problems at all.

1 Like

Same, and when it’s filled up with apps it’s a very slow responder but it does run TR fine.

I’ve got a Samsung Tab A7 purchased a couple months ago to exclusively run TR.

It really appealed with the size, processing, screen, and the landscape orientated camera for group workouts (one day).

It’s been great apart from a few teething issues early on when the app was still getting better and better.

I am having a great experience now, except for one thing. It won’t lock into Landscape in TR. If I leave it in unlocked orientation it will at least so everything in landscape except the post workout surveys which are then on their side (as with the PL celebration thing). Both are then more awkward than they need to be trying to answer and move the screen that’s on it’s side.

Thanks for the input guys. It looks like I can get my hands on a Tab A7 Lite at a good price this weekend, so I think I’ll give that a go.

I currently have a Lenovo Tab 4 10" tablet dedicated to my trainer. It doesn’t handle the “new” (ie, the major release earlier this) TR app well. It’s slow, the timer gets glitchy as workouts pass the 1 hour mark, and often crashes at the end of workouts. I didn’t have these issues with the old version of the app. I’m not sure what the critical shortcoming is (ram? cpu?), but as a floor, you’ll want better than this one.

How did the A7 Lite work out? I am considering the same hardware.
Thanks!

I just got the A7 lite and am excited to test it out. How do you like it so far?

It’s ok. I got a bit scared when it crashed on the first workout, but that has been the only one so far for 30+ workouts.

It’s defenitely struggling more than I would like, but for now it hasn’t affected my workouts. It’s mostly lagging when moving around in the app and when I press buttons, which means adjusting intencity is a hassel, but other than that it’s ok.

I would buy something more powerfull if I got the chance to buy again, so I don’t think I can reccomend it.

1 Like