Change extending cooldowns

In my opinion the way extending cooldowns is all wrong. Currently when you extend the cooldown you are extending the cooldown at the power target at whatever it is at the end of the workout. This is often a very low power target. I reckon many are like me at want to add 5 - 10 minutes of easier spinning at the power target of whatever the target power is at the beginning of the ramp down. Currently I’m having to fart around with changing the intensity to extend the workout at a worthwhile target.

Attached are 2 images. One shows what we get now with 5 minutes tacked on the end. The other shows what I want to actually do.

2 Likes

I think it is fine as is. You can adjust your target in a couple of ways:

1. For smart trainers, increase the “Intensity” to adjust the power target. There is a limit of 200%, so it may not suit all needs, but likely covers most.
  2. For smart trainers, switch to “Resistance” or “Standard” mode (and set a desired value) then pedal at your desired power target.
  3. For standard trainers, just shift up and pedal at your desired power target.
7 Likes

Thanks Chad. I’ll try changing resistance mode tomorrow and see how I get on.

2 Likes

I agree with @mcneese.chad. I like it extending at a true recovery %, rather than adding endurance zone time on the end. When I want that, I can just load up Taku or something similar and add that kind of tss. Just my .02.

1 Like

While I don’t disagree with the comment, I tried this for the first time today and I was impressed how effortless it was to use. Everything TR does seems well thought out and just on the mark, like your favorite car. (that’s an old Mad Magazine joke: Cadillac, the Rolls Royce of cars)

At the very low powers I train at, my trainer can’t go any easier, so I can “overdrive” the trainer and run the extended cool down at whatever intensity I want; it’s like it’s not in Erg mode.

Not to hijack this thread, but my request would be to make the button for extending the cool down bigger. Even using an iPad pro, I find the button pretty small. And by the end of a workout, I’m usually pretty shaky, which doesn’t help things…I wind up stabbing at the screen and missing the button.

2 Likes

I actually agree with OP. My suggestion would be to extend workout at the current power target when the button is pushed. That way it could be flexible to different users preference of the extend cooldown.
I wanted to add 30 minutes of Z2 to the end of Reinstein which has a 15 minute ramp from 60% to 40%. It’s annoying to be manually bumping up intensity and then at the end I have no ramp down or I am manually ramping down. Had I been able to just extend at the 60% I could have done it quickly and still had my gradual ramp down at the end.

2 Likes