Cannondale SuperSix Evo 2019/2020

Looking at possible new bike, anybody on the forum with the new SuperSix with any feedback good or bad.

I have read a few reviews and it seams mostly passive maybe apart from the generic look and seat post slippage. The seat post kind of worries me as I’ve nearly always had problems with this type of fault.

Cheers and thanks in advance

G

I haven’t test ridden the latest model, but the previous generation. It was good, but not great. It did what it was supposed to do, but wasn’t brilliant.

How about we turn the question around: what is your budget? What style of bike do you want, something with a racier geometry or an endurance machine? And are there any features you want, e. g. clearance for wider-than-usual tires? What about an aero frame?

I have just bought the new SuperSix Evo Hi Mod, with mechanical Dura Ace. I had to break the bank in order to purchase it (and is one reason I am sticking with a mechanical drivetrain), and it is sublime, having previously ridden SuperSix’s of previous guises.
It’s super-grippy, and so responsive. It climbs really well and i am glad i’ve made the move over to discs.
The only downside to this is not specific to the ride quality, but the cost of getting the bike to fit you. The 54cm frame comes with 420mm bar, a 100mm stem (intergrated KNOT system) and 172mm cranks.

I need 380mm bars on a 90mm stem, with 170mm cranks… something which is going to cost a lot, bearing in mind the overall cost of the bike. I’m in the UK, and the bars sell for £229, and the cranks at £190. Add the stem in at £99 and and you need to spend another £518 to make it fit. That’s before you even look to activate the power meter… £412.
£930 to enable the bike to function as it should??? That’s ridiculous.

1 Like

It’s a high midrange bike. They’re all really, really good, but not great. The high end pro-model framesets are great. Everybody’s.

I have a 2018 Super Six Evo and it is, but current standards, good but not great. I’ve never had a problem with seatpost slippage on the 25.4. It is a better bike than anything you could buy when Peter Van Petegem was winning classics, which is to say its “good” by today’s measure, but ridiculously good compared to just about anything I’ve ridden since 1981.

I have a 2015 High Mod that I picked up used from the local shop owner when they cut ties with Cannondale and he got on a Giant. The front end response is sharper and better, but overall the frame is just about the same as the 2018 EVO.

I think we split hairs too much. Any major make’s carbon bike with Ultegra is so absurdly good compared to anything from 20 or 30 or 40 years ago that I have nothing but positives to say about them. And, unless the user is getting paid to ride a bike, they probably can’t exploit the differences enough to make a difference.

I’m with you on the fit frustration. I loved my old SuperSix and wanted to upgrade to the new model. I contacted Cannondale about buying just the frameset, so I could build it up without having to swap out all the components to get my preferred fit. They said that the frameset would be available solo someday, but they couldn’t give any idea when. I ended up having to go in a different direction. :frowning:

1 Like

I assume you bought the bike new from a shop - didn’t they offer to swap parts to fit you? Isn’t that the whole argument of a local bike shop?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply’s, I decided against the SuperSix - I did not like the fact that Cannondale swapped out the Ultegra cassette for a 105, as well as pay for the activation of the PowerMeter crankset. For me this seemed a disappointing spec for a bike at this price point. I would not mind swapping out a saddle for a preferred manufacture/model etc. but having to upgrade a cassette and activate powermeter along with any other kit adjustments made me look elsewhere.

Sadly, the Cannondale distributor in the UK informed me that this should be possible, but in reality, it really isn’t. It’s down to the local bike shop to support initiatives like this and with my nearest Cannondale retailer 1.5hrs drive away, it’s all been a little frustrating. The bike shop didn’t stock and said they wouldn’t stock a 38cm bar as it isn’t a product that is in high demand etc etc.
I’ve ridden the new SuperSix a couple of times now, in all it’s guises (due to some work i have been doing with a popular clothing brand) and I really do love it. The product is amazing in my opinion, but there are some hurdles to get over to get it set up. There have been a few comments about these frames being good but not great, but I would say the same about other brands. For example, I really can’t get on with the Venge with a 38cm bar.
I’ll persevere with my irritations, but it is likely to be costly.