SL7 vs Supersix Evo

Hey All - considering a new bike for early next year and really like the idea of a “one bike to rule them all.” A bike that can climb but also has some pretty decent aero abilities. On the current docket are the Tarmac SL7 Pro (DI2) and the Supersix EVO Ultegra DI2 (not the Hi-Mod). Both are Di2, both have integrated front ends, both medium depth carbon wheels. I’m having trouble finding weights, but I assume the C’dale is at least a kilo heavier than the Tarmac. The price difference is pretty intense - $7K for the Specialized vs. $5.5k for the Cannondale. Technically, I could afford either, but spending less is better if there’s a value proposition. I’m coming from an alum CAAD12, so I assume either is a pretty significant upgrade. I’ve never had a problem with the pressfit BB30 on my CAAD12 (or my CAAD10 before it or my Topstone) so that doesn’t scare me away like it does for some people.

Any thoughts on why I might want to spend more for the Tarmac?

Cannondale

Specialized

I don’t think there’s a kilo difference on the frame and fork itself, maybe with all the included components there is. I’d pick the Supersix only because the geometry fits me better.

Cannondale frameset weight:
999g frame, 436g fork, 162g seatpost for a painted 56cm
7.8kg total

180g saved if you go Hi-mod.

SL7 pro frameset weight
920g frame, 350g? fork
Complete weight of 7.3kg.

165g saved on the frame, some on the tyres, and inner tubes, as it appears S-Works Turbo tyres and the lightweight inner tubes would save you about 100g.
Rapide CLs are probably a touch lighter? The cannondale ones are crazy wide. 32mm.

Gone are the days when Supersixes used to be the lightest frames on the market!

Very true. But then, “aero is everything,” right? Wondering if the weight saving is “worth” the extra $1500. I’m no featherweight, but at 156lbs, I can get up hills without too many problems.

Can you afford to drop your body weight 1lb? If so, youve just saved that .5 kilo and I’ve just saved you $1500. :wink: In all serious pick the frame that fits you better I wouldn’t get hung up on weight difference. The one thing that might scare me off C-dale is their SI approach on their higher end models. It usually means a lot of proprietary parts which makes it tough to change things later on down the road.

3 Likes

LOL, can I pay you to slap me every time I pass the Dunkin Donuts? And I agree on the SI silliness. I really like my two current Cannondales, but upgrading and wrenching always leads to interesting “surprises” on compatibility.

This was the main reason I have removed supersix from my wish-list. It has the perfect geometry and I am probably the only person that really likes the paint, but I do not like number of proprietary parts is damn to high :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just curious - what’s on your wish list in its place?

1 Like

Current list with some short rationale (mainstream choices, I found some more niche brands like Fezzari that fit my needs but a little bit affraid to buy a bike almost no one rides):

BMC Roadmachine/Teamachine (Teamachine is quite aggressive and I have to check how I would feel on the bike as my flexibility is not superb). In my opinion the best looking mainstream bikes but I hate this year colors in my price range. The local dealer was the best experience from all the bikes listed here.
Specialized Sl6 - sl7 expert with di2 is 1500 usd more expensive here and I do not see anything that makes it worth it for my needs. Very obvious choce but I like the look of BMC more.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0 - the most rational choice in terms of equipment and the price but does not make my heart skip a beat. The great bike for just having nice racing bike, little bit outdated.
Giant TCR advanced team pro - (I do not like the blue of di2 version) - I like everything but little to afraid about aggressiveness of the bike.

The bikes I have removed:
SuperSix - the reasoning above.
Trek Emonda - the best looking for me along with BMC, currently ride ALR5 and really like it. H2 geometry is quite comfy, but I have poor experience with local dealers. New version is supposedly a little bit harsh to ride. And I could not live with this huge logo :wink:
Orbea Orca 20iTeam - like the look, possibility to customize the colors, but I am reading a lot about poor customer service and I do not have any local dealer.

My recent idea is to lower the budget forget about Di2 and go for ultegra mechanical and upgrade in the future as I earn the Di2 with some results :wink:

P.S.
After some research the perfect bike for me probably would be Argon Krypton Pro, so more endurance oriented as I live in the country with horrible roads, but it is outside my price range and not available in my country.

1 Like

If you like the Emonda see if you can get one without decals on downtube?

I like my current emonda (even if its an entry level bike) but more expensive emonda is similar in every way to other bikes from the list (geometry (it is H1.5 not H2 so it is a more aggressive) and component wise). I like the overall look, Emonda Sl6 has smaller logo but dealership is dealbreaker in this case and the bike do not offer anything than other bikes from the list.

The fully rational choice would be Spec SL6 as it ticks all the boxes… but that look from BMCs :wink:
So knowing me I will pass for one year and focus on the fitness not on the shiny new bike.

Any of those bikes will be very good, and the differences between them minimal, as long as they fit. As noted above, choose what fits you best, with dealer service a close second.

One final thing; if you think a bike is harsh, just quickly check the tyres. If it’s setup with 25s, you might be amazed at the difference a pair of 28s make (assuming they fit), especially in tubeless.

Cannondales paint scheme is ugly.

Or lovely (except team replica) :slight_smile: depends what you like

2 Likes

Yes the team replica looks nice

That is why painting is very subjective matter. I think that team replica is ugly and really like the rest of the colour schemes. And I know almost nobody likes the Cannondale paints, but for me, it fits extremely well to the silhouette of the bike.

1 Like

I owned a SuperSix Evo Hi-mod briefly (before it died in a car crash) and then had a lo-mod replacement for 6 months on hire. The difference is very noticeable. The Hi-mod feels much more “Alive”, the lo-mod is more muted. Just something to add to the mix.

2 Likes

That’s very interesting. I would’ve assumed that the difference between hi-mod and low would’ve been exclusively weight without much difference in “feel.” There is a huge price difference between the two, so that adds some context.

So given the difference in price (~$2500 I think?) do you feel like the cost is justified? I know there are other differences also, but I imagine the bulk of that cost difference is in the frame.

I’ve been lusting after one one of these for a few months now, so I’m getting my ducks in a row.

Hence the name, the hi mod uses more high modulus carbon fibre - read lighter and stiffer. I had a 2015 hi mod built up - very good bike.