Big question about FTP

Not according to the head coach of TrainerRoad, in a blog post updated last year:

“one of the most important aspects of power-based training.”

“Because we use this measure of fitness as the basis for all of your training, it’s important that this number estimates your actual sustainable-power threshold as closely as possible.”

Original poster:

• 277W estimate of FTP from ramp test
  • 248W completed in 20 min effort

Coach Chad states its important that FTP estimate should be as close as possible. Do you honestly believe the ramp test gave an estimate that is close as possible?

If TrainerRoad’s head coach wants a really good estimate, and the data above clearly shows the ramp test estimate is not close or accurate, why are you suggesting otherwise? Why are you posting "It’s less about finding your “true FTP” when TrainerRoad’s blog states otherwise?

:man_shrugging: I’m not going to argue against either Coach Chad or the data.

5 Likes

Doesn’t this imply a 248 * 0.95 = 235 FTP estimate?

2 Likes

I was referring to your statement to think of FTP as

“the amount of power you could hold on a perfect course, fully rested, motivated, cheered on by your loved ones, etc. for an hour”

none of which is really correct.

I mean, yeah, if you’re really tired you might find it more challenging to dial your power up to FTP or hold it as long, but it’s not like you have to turn yourself inside out to get there.

2 Likes

Definitely not - this should be power you can work with during the training - not the perfect power when all the stars aligned because it is not repetable power. Just simply ride for 40-60 minutes as a another workout during your training (preferably after some little rest) and this is your ftp you can work with. And no, longer test is not so more demanding than any other threshols workout or harder group ride and definitely easier than 20 min test.

2 Likes

FTP should not be when the stars align, especially if you need it to do training rides 3-5x a week. The stars don’t align that often (at least not for me!)

And that is why we should be talking about the zone, not single number.

4 Likes

Every time i hear that the ramp test gives you an inflated number, it really really surprises me. I would have thought my power curve was pretty normal, but turns out its very flat and ramp undercooks my ftp big time. My point is, learn the test which works best for you. For new riders, ramp test is typically ok - for someone who has been training a while, you should really be doing a 20min test.

1 Like

Mine looks like this. 95% of 20 min power can also be off for some people. New or experienced, it’s going to boil down to where you fall on the spectrum.

Pretty okay might be the experience if you lowball your FTP because you are a slow twitch diesel former cross country running triathlete, it’s not so fun on the other side, when your fitness seems to be fading because you have been doing threshold work and excessive over-unders from an overestimated FTP.

For an exercise in compassion, raise your FTP by 10-15 watts manually and then do:

2 Likes

Nice sprint!

2 Likes

It doesn’t surprise me. In comparison to cyclists of the past, people are now coming to the sport and structured training with less endurance from many hours of time on the bike. These people are often relatively strong, and familiar with high intensity style efforts from the gym, but are not with sustained efforts for longer than a few minutes.

It feels like there should be a refresher course “Intro to the bell curve” on a weekly basis on this forum.

2 Likes

thank you all for the answers! I will answer your questions in one message. You asked that “you reached 380W in the ramp, but you can’t hold 248W on 20 min?” No, it is Ftp, 261 x 0,95 apparently
And I attach my FTP changes for the winter:

09.09.20 - 226wt (66kg) 3.42wt / kg lhtr 179
10/04/20 - 237wt (66kg) 3,59wt / kg (in race)
10/11/20 - 240wt (66kg) 3.63wt / kg (in race)
11/07/20 - 244wt (68kg) 3,58wt / kg (in race)
11/15/20 - 242wt (68kg) 3,55wt / kg (ftp classic)
11/22/20 - 245wt (68kg) 3,6wt / kg (in race)
10.12.20 - 268wt (68kg) 3.94wt / kg (Ramp test)
01/27/21 - 274wt (69kg) 3.97wt / kg (Ramp test)
03/25/21 - 248wt (70kg) 3,54wt / kg (short ftp)
03/26/21 - 277wt (70kg) 3.95wt / kg (Ramp test)

(p.s. do not pay attention to 226, in August I injured my leg and underwent surgery, did not exercise for 2 weeks, lost muscles and weight.)

Sorry I can’t understand what you are saying. Exactly what did you do on 3/25?

@bbarrera He says in post #1.

I wonder if that actually is 248 x .95 = 235 watts?

I was wrong :slight_smile:

20 min ftp test, not ramp

So your FTP from all kind of riding was pretty similar and after introducing ramp test it was higher, till the moment you tried to do 20 min test?

1 Like

Sorry your statements are not clear. All I have are:

• 20-minute test
  • 248W
  • you were wrong

So we still don’t understand, can you help by answering:

• what was average power for 20-minutes?
  • did you use an app to record? And if yes, what did it suggest as updated FTP?

Thanks.

I do not remember what the average power was during a 20 minute test, at the end of the test a ftp of 248W was assigned. (this is not an average over 20 minutes, this is a recalculation according to the automatic formula)
And with the ramp test the next day, ftp 277W.

yes, you are right, but I have already run the ramp test three times, and the power is always much higher than at 20 minutes.