Best training plan to raise FTP?

Without needing to look to other companies’ plans, I find doing TR’s LV plans with Z2 rides on the other 3-4 days of the week ends up pyramidal as well. Not that Pyramidal is the goal, it’s just the result, but I do find that taking the key workouts from TR’s low volume plans and then adding easier riding whenever you can is a good approach (I wouldn’t want any more intensity than those three workouts max anyway).

1 Like

that approach can work, unless you also find the number of intervals is a problem. For me that happens with the vo2 work in SSB-2 and Build. So I also needed to dial down the number of intervals, and sometimes change the intensity. It got to be a lot of modifications.

Hello,
Can i ask where can you find these graphics? Which program do you use to analyze?

It looks awesome thats why i want to learn it.

Wko5 but you can use intervals.icu and get a lot of basic things for free. WKO is great when you want to go really deep or you are numbers geek.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I looked it and it looks perfect for me. I wish Wko were free too :grinning:

And i guess there is no mobile app for intervals icu.

Nope, but nor for WKO.

1 Like

The TrainingPeaks mobile app is not pretty but very functional. However it is bundled with TrainingPeaks Premium subscription and not included in the one-time fee for WKO.

1 Like

You mean this?

3 days VO2max back to back to back…what was the reasoning behind that :thinking:? I’d want to hit each VO2max workout fresh…

1 Like

Progressive overload. You overload your system and elicit more adaptations. Even if your power decreases and intervals get shorter you will get more better adaptations than doing workouts when fresh.

Full article: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://umh1617.edu.umh.es/wp-content/uploads/sites/546/2016/05/Ronnestad-et-al_block-periodization-cyclist_2014.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj_ioPlq-XuAhXR8OAKHW4TAp0QFjACegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw23igcbhn-7hDveVAeeFhZM

2 Likes

:point_up: This - @jarsson nailed it
And week 3 had 4 back to back :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, you went all in on BP compared to the structure in the paper that @jarsson linked (one week of five HIIT sessions followed by three weeks of one HIIT session). What made you decide to do three block weeks in a row?

I may be mis-attributing, but think I heard/read Kolie or someone on his roster say he gets his athletes to do 2-4 week VO2 blocks. As I understand it, he basically gets the athlete to max out what they can do (he said on IG that his very strong riders do a lot of VO2 in these blocks, but didn’t actually say how much).

I felt ‘good’ until mid way through the final week.

Then rest. That’s the part I didn’t do so well.

2 Likes

Good food for thought, thanks. Might play with the block periodization…thinking of a modification like: Lenghten the first overloading weeks to 9 days (the 5 VO2max days with 1 day easy or rest in between).

(Maybe I overlooked it but I did not see the exact workout distribution for each weekday in the study)

Interesting that the TRAD group (that seemed to fit the polarized model) was stagnating.

Do you recall which podcast this was mentioned? Would be interested to give it a listen!

I don’t, I’m sorry. I’ve been through the entire 34X TrainerRoad podcasts, so who knows…?

1 Like