Beginner training questions

A little background. I started mountain biking in March or April of last year and did one XC race which absolutely kicked my ass. I was looking for something fun to lose weight and I lost around 25lbs last year (dropping from 225lb at 6’2"). I had been struggling with runners knee so running particularly on concrete wasn’t an option. Now I can play sports without my knee braces the doctor gave me for the runners knee and I am the lightest and in the best shape I have been in since highschool (12 years ago this year). Around the start of this year I bought a trainer and started doing TrainerRoad with a Kurt Kinetic Smart Road Machine and a single speed cyclocross bike. Since the start of the year, I have been riding a bit of freestyle BMX (cause taking up BMX at 30 seems like a perfect idea). My goals for this year are to do an XC race or two. Try Cyclocross and also depending on how my skills develop, an enduro race. Really though my biggest goal is to get to the point where I don’t feel like I am holding people up when I go on a group ride. I have done the Sweet Spot Low Volume 1 and I am two weeks into Low Volume General Build. I can already see a big improvement.

My first question is about off the bike workouts. I play ultimate frisbee league usually once a week (not to be confused with disc golf) which can either be a pretty big workout or a fairly light one depending on how many people show up. On days where I don’t have a trainer ride, I generally do some stretching, pushups, leg lifts, etc as well as spending some time messing around on my freestyle BMX. So I have three trainer rides a week plus ultimate frisbee (which is mostly sprints and jumping). Should I be doing off the bike workouts on the other days or the same days as trainer rides? I was also going to start doing workouts from somewhere like fitnessblender to get a more structured workout. I want to increase flexibility and core and upper body strength. My biggest reason behind this is to attempt to help prevent injuries. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My second question is about using my single speed for training but my trainer does not have ERG(?) mode so hitting cadence numbers is not really possible. How much is that actually going to hold me back? I can’t use the mountainbike on the trainer due to hub size and I don’t want to spend the money on adding gears to the cyclocross bike since I like the simplacy of single speed and I plan on trying cyclocross single speed anyway.

My third question is about mountainbike rides versus trainer rides. It is hitting the time of year that it will be easier to get in mountain bike rides (at least if it ever stops raining down here in the south). Of course, I’d much rather go out and ride then ride on the trainer (although I don’t hate trainer rides). I know mountain bike rides will not have the structured nature of training rides but how much effect is there if I replace trainer rides with approximately the same or longer mountain bike rides? So basically I plan on going mountain biking unless I don’t have time until after dark or the trails are shut because of rain. Should I try to fit in a shorter structured trainer ride if I still feel ok after my ride?

Finally given my goals (a couple XC races, at least trying cyclocross and maybe enduro). What plan or plans should I go after I finish the general build plan? I am pretty sure I am never going to be an XC racer since I kind of completely hate climbing. Also my 150/140mm travel bike is never going to be mistaken for an XC bike. Mostly want to do to hang out with friends and ride some trails but I’d like to finish better then 3rd from last. Cyclocross looks like a lot of fun though so I really want to try that. Really my biggest goal though is to be in good enough shape to somewhat keep up with friends (well my skills need a lot of work to get to that point as well).

Thanks for the help.

Generally any lower body strength training is advised to be done during an “off season” or when you’re not in a build or speciality phase of cycling as it’s very difficult to do any intensity with legs that are cooked from strength training. I’ve tried it, even sweet spot workouts are hard. I still do mobility, core, and upper body work throughout all training phases as they don’t impact workouts. I wouldn’t think one day of frisbee would impact your workouts that much, but it might, you’ll have to experiment and adjust your plan accordingly.

Ideally your bike workouts would take precedence over anything else. For example, let’s say you play frisbee on Tuesdays. Do your hard Tuesday workout in the morning (if you can) and then play frisbee in the evening, rest or easy ride on Wednesday, and come back on Thursday fresh.

There are some signaling changes that can happen when you ride at a high cadence, neuromuscular changes. However, I wouldn’t worry about buying or modifying your bike so that you can hit cadence targets. I do like to do a bit of high-torque (low cadence) work early in the season to get my connective tissues ready for the season, as well as to simulate climbing. I also like to do some high cadence work as well, but I don’t think it’s crucial that you prioritize hitting cadence numbers. Just hit the power targets.

I know mountain bike rides will not have the structured nature of training rides but how much effect is there if I replace trainer rides with approximately the same or longer mountain bike rides?

VERY dependent. You probably won’t be able to replicate a VO2 max workout or a sustained threshold/sweet spot effort on your mountain bike. However, mountain biking is excellent for bursty and anaerobic efforts. Training and getting strong is all about following the plan and doing your quality on the trainer. I would save my early season outdoor rides for low-intensity or as bonus, not in an attempt to replace a scheduled ride from my plan. However, if you have to get out and ride for a break from the trainer I wouldn’t hold back.

Thanks for the advice.

Ideally your bike workouts would take precedence over anything else. For example, let’s say you play frisbee on Tuesdays. Do your hard Tuesday workout in the morning (if you can) and then play frisbee in the evening, rest or easy ride on Wednesday, and come back on Thursday fresh.

My only worry with this is that I have no idea how hard a workout ultimate is going to be until I get there. Some games with no or only one or two subs are pretty brutal and I will be sore for a couple days after. I really enjoy ultimate and don’t want to blow myself up before a game. Given that would it make sense to do a workout after ultimate depending on how I feel? Or restructure it to make it, trainer rides, Monday, Thursday and Saturday with an ultimate game on Tuesday plus a mountain bike ride on Saturday or Sunday and some off the bike workouts when I can work them in?

Given that would it make sense to do a workout after ultimate depending on how I feel?

Is your priority to be in the best shape for frisbee or to become a stronger cyclist? If it’s the latter then I would do my workout (with the best quality possible) before I play a frisbee game.

To be honest, frisbee is as important to me as cycling.