Athlytic app users

There are some brief mentions about this app in threads covering other topics but as far as can see no specific thread about all things Athlytic. I’d like to hear other users opinions before I decide if I should keep it after the 7 day trial.

I just got an Apple Watch Ultra which is my first Apple Watch and I intend to use the Athlytic app if I get it to work properly showing meaningful information. Besides using TrainerRoad I also do outdoor cycling, running, and occasionally strength training.

I have a question of how to record indoor cycling in order for the Athlytic app to understand what’s going on. Yesterday I did a 2x25 min sweetspot session using TrainerRoad and autoupload to Strava from where the data was imported to Apple Health. In the Athlytics app it only shows 27 mins in HR zone 3 and 2 mins in HR zone 4. No other data for HR training zones is presented. Meanwhile Strava says 16 mins zone 2, 36 mins zone 3 and 13 mins zone 4 which I assume is correct. I get the impression that the Athlytics app does not recognize the entire workout. Is this because of how I recorded the workout? For reference, the day before I did 85 min of easy running recorded directly from the training app and Athlytic rate that effort as much harder.

Do I need to also log the workout directly in the Athlytics app as indoor cycling in order to ensure that the imported data is accurate? I didn’t do that because I didn’t want to risk double register the workout.

I used in for about 6 months and I can tell you the developer is very responsive, so I’d recommend contacting him as well.

In the end, I went with the Training Today app. My main focus was HRV tracking / Readiness score.

1 Like

There is a whole other thread where we have been asking for TR workouts to import directly into Apple Health which would solve this problem … But that is a whole other issue.

I have been using Athlytic for just over a year now and have a system that works for me. Indoor I record every workout on my watch using the Athletic app so it gets the info and into Health. I do not import Strava workouts into Health in order to prevent doubling up. Personally I do not mind wearing my watch to record the workout as well indoor. Outdoor I record using my Wahoo Bolt and then export/import the .fit file into HealthFit which gets the workout into Health for Athylic to read and it pulls all data correctly.

1 Like

Athlytic user since January

TrainerRoad to Strava to Apple health works perfect for me (except for that one week where Strava decided to turn off the syncing to everyone’s dismay)

I also swim and run, and I use the Apple watches Workout features and it imports to Apple Heath flawlessly.

Ultimately what is important to the Athlytic app is what is in apple health, as long at that is mostly accurate then your Athlyitc data is pretty accurate.

I use a Karoo 2 for outside rides and getting those workouts into Apple Health has been a struggle! If I sync to Strava it doesn’t import all the data into Apple Health, it strips out all (most) the HR data. The work around for me is to use the Healthfit app or Runfit app, but I have to upload the original fit file manually and then let one of those apps import into Apple Health. It works but its painful (manual step heavy). Also… this happened a couple times this summer, I forgot my heartrate strap, or the battery in the strap died, in that case I am then dual recording on my watch to get the Athlytic credit. This then also requires me to remember that I am dual recording (which I pretty much forgot every time), and then having to deal with the duplicate data. UGGh struggle bus!!!

1 Like

Is this a Karoo thing? Through Wahoo it is a 5 second 1 step thing to share the fit file, well 2 steps if going into the ride activity counts as one… It is done by using the iOS share sheet to share the fit file into HealthFit when viewing my ride info. Which then of course is autofeed into Health where Athlytic finds the data.

Yeah, I believe but could be corrected, that the deal breaker is that HammerHead doesn’t have an app. I have to grab the fit file from Strava or the HammerHead dashboard on PC.

I grab the fit file and save it into a iOS cloud folder and then switch to my phone and upload the fit file in the Healthfit app.

To autofeed they would need to have a phone app and have it sync to Health.

Doh, didn’t realize that. I can see how that would be a huge pita then.

Thanks for all the responses. Found the thread about TR import directly to Apple Health. A bit unfortunate that there seem to be no fully automatic way to use Athlytic as TR user. I will see if I find a way workflow without too much hassle.

Any updates on experiences with Athlytic? I’ve been comparing to Training Today for a week. TT seems a bit pessimistic. Athlytic seems more aligned with what happens on the bike. Hard to say after a week, just starting to form some opinions.

I prefer the data of Athlytic. TT a bit too simplistic.

FWIW yesterday I read you can increase HRV sampling on Apple Watch by turning on AFib tracking. It worked, lots and lots of HRV samples in last 24 hours.

1 Like

Athlytic says i am recovering for 95% of the days, even after a rest week and im fresh as can be and crushing vo2 intervals…. I basically look at the trends for hr and hrv and skip the rest.

But yeah, turning on afib causes the watch to record at 15 min intervals, opposed to 90 min. Much better.

1 Like

I started using Athlytic and Train Today between two really really hard anaerobic capacity workouts. So far recovery in Athlytic has been (by day) 67%, 76%, 52%, 79%, 59%, 37% yesterday, and 66% today. Yesterday Train Today had me at 0% in the morning, and improving to 2.2 by 4:30 when I started my workout. Maybe that would change with more than a weeks data, not sure. So thats why my first impression after a week is Athlytic is doing “better” than Train Today. Plus I like the UI of Athlytic.

I’m with you on looking at trends in HR and HRV.

A few recent examples, after using Athlytic for a couple months. Last week:

its appears to have figured out my 2 hour endurance rides, and recommends them on days when recovery is moderate (after a hard day).

Big climbing ride on Sunday:

Friday was 1 hour recovery ride in the heat. Thursday was 2.33 hours endurance in the heat. Wed was an easy-ish group ride in the heat.

Yesterday off bike + core/weights work, overnight 8+ hours of sleep and this shows up today:

Interesting. Not following the advice but it is interesting.