Does the form in which we consume carbohydrates impact our ability to utilize it during exercise?
The performance-enhancing effects of carbohydrates are becoming increasingly evident. For this reason, researchers and athletes continue to explore how we can maximize the benefits of consuming carbohydrates on the bike. In this episode of the Science of Getting Faster Podcast, we speak with Dr. Mark Hearris to discuss whether the form in which we consume carbohydrates impacts our ability to utilize them during exercise.
Join us today at 8am PST!
STUDY COVERED IN THIS EPISODE: 13C-glucose-fructose labeling reveals comparable exogenous CHO oxidation during exercise when consuming 120 g/h in fluid, gel, jelly chew, or coingestion
Watch our latest Cycling Science Explained video now!
Does Cryotherapy Make You a Faster Cyclist? | Cycling Science Explained
TOPICS COVERED IN THIS EPISODE
- (0:58) What determines the substrates we use during exercise?
- (3:09) How much carbohydrate can we store within the body?
- (4:14) How much carbohydrate can our skeletal muscles physiologically use?
- (10:17) Limiting factors of carbohydrate oxidation
- (12:32) What is tolerance, absorption, and oxidation?
- (15:11) What does the research say about the optimal carbohydrate sources, ratios and volumes for use during exercise?
- (25:22) The research question
- (27:02) Study details
- (39:25) How does temperature impact substrate utilization?
- (42:06) How does hydration status impact our ability to oxidize carbohydrates during exercise?
- (43:31) How do the intervals at which we consume carbohydrates impact our ability to oxidize carbohydrates?
- (45:29) The outcomes measured during this study
- (46:56) The results!
- (48:37) Who is most likely to suffer from GI symptoms when supplementing with carbohydrates on the bike?
- (52:37) Are bigger riders at a disadvantage?
- (56:00) What are Dr. Hearris’s recommendations for carbohydrate supplementation during endurance exercise?
Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast below!
iTunes: Science of Getting Faster Podcast - Presented by TrainerRoad on Apple Podcasts
TrainerRoad Podcast Network
Submit your Question to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Subscribe to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Subscribe to the Successful Athletes Podcast
Submit your story to the Successful Athletes Podcast
Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast