Apple Health Sync via Strava Blocked - Options?

Isn’t this the same app that disabled heart rate monitors and power meters a few years ago?

Yes, they removed ANT+, supposedly because it was crashing sometimes. Which to my mind is a really bad reason to remove a feature (I mean, don’t they have programmers?), and made it an easy decision not to go with their subscription service.

1 Like

That’s correct, you go into workouts in Health and then set the order of your data sources in the ‘Sources’ section and then it prioritises them based on this order. It has never included a duplicate workout in my stats even though it appears in the list of workout.

1 Like

So this means neither my indoor TR or outdoor workouts will sync to Apple health because I use a Karoo2. Great work strava. Not

1 Like

How does one do that, my app list is ordered alphabetically

Steps below:

1. Open Health app and go to ‘Browse’
  2. Click ‘Activity’ and then ‘Workouts’
  3. Scroll to the bottom and go to ‘Data Sources & Access’
  4. Hit edit in the top right, then scroll to ‘Data Sources’ at the bottom and you can change the order they are in. If there are multiple workouts, Health prioritises them in the order that they are in here.
2 Likes

Got it, thanks!

Doing this has anyone been able to also sync active energy - I think this is what is driving the move ring? (Please correct me if I’m wrong)

So far I am only able to have my workout time sync with Apple health using garmin connect as the source.

See below (exercise minutes are synced but calories are not):

Nope - having looked around online a lot over the last couple of days it looks like calories don’t work due to an issue on Garmin’s end. I think the only option to get the move ring going is either 1 - RunGap (c. £10 per year) or 2 - to record an indoor bike workout on the Apple Watch while you do the TR session. Unfortunately under 2 the calories won’t be accurate as it won’t use power for them. Health will then filter out the duplicates based on the ordering of the sources (mentioned above). Clearly neither are particularly good options.

1 Like

I have been recording all indoor workouts on my AW for a couple of years now. The active calories calories, while not as accurate as power, are not too far off. Couple recent examples:

• 90 minute o/u workout this past week was off my +50 calories compared to TR power

• 60 minute vo2 was off +25 calories

2 Likes

The other option is to now go into the health app and add a manual workout knowing exactly the calories, time and distance you rode. Manual process because a stupid selfish company decided to turn off an existing feature. …talking about Strava here…

1 Like

I’m in the same situation. I set up RunGap last night.

• Paid my $11 for a year
  • hooked up my 4 accounts (Strava, Hammerhead, Apple Health, and Dropbox)
  • re-synced once

My Thursday night gravel ride (recorded on the Karoo) showed up in apple health almost instantly!

1 Like

I thought this was a bug from the latest Strava App version. It sucks they have dropped this functionality. They are doing an excellent job if they are encouraging people to unsubscribe their App

1 Like

How are you getting trainerroad to rungap? I don’t see it as an option in rungap.

Thanks.

I use RunGap to get my workout from Strava, then export it to Apple health. It adds a step, but it works and at least it syncs the heart rate, which was missing when Strava exported the data to Apple health.

I highly recommend setting up a Dropbox sync. That will create a library of all your workout files on dropbox automatically, which means if you ever want to use another platform (say Golden Cheetah or another data analysis platform), all of the files are on your computer, ready to be imported…

Agree with your position here. I hope TR will write this direct integration to Apple Health (on the iPhone)

Did the same dance. Read DCrainmakers post today and decided to cancel my sub. Hope for TR to build direct integration soon.

3 Likes

I’m glad this wasn’t just me. I was having a miserable time the last few days trying to work out why this wasn’t working. Really crappy move on Strava’s part to not give people notice in advance that this was happening.

Strava were perfectly happy to act as a workout repository and gain all the benefits of analysing/selling that data. Baffling as to why they’ve suddenly changed their mind on this.

Hope the TR/Apple Health integration happens soon!

Me too! Trust me Im pushin. :wink:

10 Likes

@IvyAudrain Tell the dev team they have to do a ramp test every week until it is released :grinning:

1 Like