Anyone using RGT Cycling, thoughts?

I’m out then, sigh.
One of the major attractions of TR has always been Virtual Power for me. Mostly from a budget point of view.
I appreciate that I lose a lot of feedback/info when I’m out on the road, but I’ve avoided all the problems other people seem to have with their Kickrs and PMs and everything.

1 Like

I tried RGT last night and have to say I’m very impressed. My setup is good so no real usage issues but my Internet connection in rural France is pathetic so that’s my only real hurdle. The interface is well crafted, responsive and logical.

The experience is on a different level to Z and, for me anyway, a real pleasure. Avatars that lean and slow down round corners, physics that mimic the real world and graphics that make you pedal to see what’ll come into view round the next corner. For a simulated environment that’s pretty good.

Like watching a film, it’s not so much about faithfully mimicking the real world, but feasible suspension of disbelief.

For me, Z is like Doom on a 386 and RGT is Fallen Order on my X-Box.

I hope things go well for them.

10 Likes

lol, I have been using Ctrl+Alt+Del Task manger to close it.

I’ve been trying alternatives to zwift- I’m sick of their lack of privacy controls ( I can’t disable notifications being sent to my followers when I start riding).

I tried RGT but I wasn’t a fan. I’ve since tried BKool and Rouvy. I much prefer Rouvy of them all. The thing with Rouvy AR is that you can’t import workouts say from training peaks for example. You can however run Trainer Road and Rouvy at the same time.

I have the same delay in RGT as in Zwift, it can be up to 3-4 seconds. It’s very annoying and I could never solve this. Pretty new gaming computer as well. I love the way RGT implemented the turning with the red power numbers and the need to stop pedaling. Once you recon a circuit you will know which turns and speed combinations will require you to stop pedaling. The delay gets in the way of experiencing this fully. Also some red power numbers when approaching other riders. must be the drafting algorithm but I haven’t figured that one out yet.

Only thing I find frustrating about RGT is it seems to use smart recording to generate .fit files. Strava, RWGPS and Golden Cheetah processes the data correctly but Garmin Connect and TR need 1 sec recorded .fit files :neutral_face:

? As far as my Ant+, Windows 10, & android setup, that’s not true. The ride file is actually true to the data captured (raw) and data gaps due to Rx fails are not artificially filled.

Can you take the .fit File directly into GC no loss of interval/zonal power? When my RGT .fit files are created (also Android & Win 10). The RGT file that imports into GarminConnect or TrainerRoad reads lower than the likes of Strava. I asked on Garmin forums and I am told its because RGT uses smart recording and not 1 sec recording. I down loaded a demo of the fit file repair tool and they are right. The RGT file misses out a second randomly here and there :neutral_face:
Just means things like my climb up the Patterberg is recorded as 385w average a PB in TR it’s only 368w and I need all the watts I can get these days :wink:

No, you need to fill the data gap by using the “Fix Gaps in Recording…” under Edit. This is what I do and export it to Strava & Garmin. No sure on Training Peaks since I use WKO4 also.

When you compare you dataset (under Editor tab in activity) with Rx fails, they match up. It appears that TR and Zwift automatically does this and the ride file is not raw. This is very different mechanism verse smart recording based my read of Garmin’s description. Incidentally if you use WKO4 (assume same behavior in WKO5), the raw data is maintained but the ride metrics are calculated based on the massaged dataset. (I use both and finally paid closer attention to WKO4 and found the discrepancy when I paused TR workouts for the last six weeks and just rode on RGT. Before that I was using TR & Zwift. I would have switched earlier but couldn’t figure out why RGT was out putting odd speed readings and not reading my cadence. Finally found that on my system, Bluetooth needed to be on.)

Under Windows 10 the log file for Ant+ is located at “Your Primaty Drive”:\Users\“user_name”\AppData\LocalLow\RGT Cycling\RGT Screen\ and is called RGT_antlog.txt. I don’t use BLE but would assume there’s an equivalent file stored. Good luck on Apple.

1 Like

on macOS it appears to be here:

sky:~ bbarrera$ find ~/Library -iname “rgt screen” 2> /dev/null
/Users/bbarrera/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter/RGT Screen_2CBA08DE-68C2-5134-A8F1-723D3CFB5A58.plist
/Users/bbarrera/Library/Containers/com.roadgrandtours.RGTScreenmac/Data/Library/Logs/RGT Cycling/RGT Screen

The second one:

/Users/bbarrera/Library/Containers/com.roadgrandtours.RGTScreenmac/Data/Library/Logs/RGT Cycling/RGT Screen

should have what you are looking for (RGT_antlog.txt for ANT+ connection).

I navigated to that directory:

cd “/Users/bbarrera/Library/Containers/com.roadgrandtours.RGTScreenmac/Data/Library/Logs/RGT Cycling/RGT Screen”

and that directory only has “Player.log” and “Player-prev.log” - HOWEVER this computer has NEVER connected to a trainer. If you are on macOS and using RGT then it should have other logs.

Cheers :+1: After editing in Golden Ceetah, Garmin Connect somehow stripped the time/distance from the file (I manually edited them and Connects fine) but it imported to Trainer Road perfectly and my power curve is correct. I’m a bit of my pre op best but it confirms I put out my best circa 1min 30 best since :grinning:

I am starting to look in to this as it looks really cool, I much, MUCH prefer the graphics to Zwift.

One thing that caught my eye, and which TR can’t/won’t/doesn’t do is race simulations. With premium can you set up an RGT race with a bunch of bots? Is it realistic? Do they try and win/attack, etc… or is it just bots riding round at set wattages?

With premium you can set races and group rides and also create magic roads for group rides or lonely rides (just you) or races besides using all available training plas, just a few for now.

About bots in the races they are set by who sets the race by watt/kg so you can set them from 1w/kg or 10w/kg but they dont attack they just follow they’re preset power.

What I like more on RGT is the draf, very realistic peloton effect and the braking in corners also more realistic than zwift where you corner at the same speed all the way down a hill.

Does this have anything like powermatch? I would like to have my powermeter as source of the power.

You can pair RGT to your powermeter to read the watts, then to the turbo to control the resistance. It’s a while since I ve used it but I think it remembers that or it may just me that I always wake up the power meter before switching the turbo on. It’s a operates similar to powermatch then.

Am I correct that RGT cannot be minimized? I’d like to watch YT while doing a workout.

You can toggle between full and windows mode by pressing the alt and enter keys together for Microsoft Windows. Don’t know about apple.

2 Likes

I tried it this morning. After 20 minutes I was bored.

3 Likes

the races are better from what i’ve heard, but you’re right. to be riding cap or ventoux and be one of 6 riders on the course is ridiculous

Too unstable for me, I gave up after missing several races & events where it wouldn’t let me on the system or crashed part way through the race (like TR Android beta app currently is…).