Anyone considering GCN Race pass?

For what it’s worth, I haven’t had any buffering issues using the webviewer in chrome on windows (in the US; no vpn). Maybe casting playback is just more buggy somehow? I have poked around a bit at how how the streaming is structured and there are 3 different technologies available: hls, dash, and mss. Which is used probably depends on your platform, and that might contribute to varying experiences buffering.

1 Like

Yes, I think that’s the case, I have tried in the web browser and didn’t have the same issues. It’s not an ideal way for me to watch though :frowning:

Yeah, and pretty much the entirety of the Day 1 highlights were shown at the beginning of the (longer) Day 2 highlights!

Hi All,

Thanks for this feedback - it’s pretty useful for us! We hope to have resolved the chromecast buffering issue with recent app updates, so if you’re still experiencing buffering only on the GCN web player/app (other apps/players work fine etc) then please send us a facebook message or email (support@globalcyclingnetwork.com) with your app version and the devices you’re using and we’ll look into it. This should have also fixed the commentary issues, but again please let us know if this hasn’t for you!

Thanks,

Brian

1 Like

Anyone who is enjoying the racing and wants to talk about it in more detail please come and join us over on a dedicated thread that @Pasque kindly set up…

1 Like

Thanks Brian. I’m still getting it - just watched the UAT Stage 1 highlights and it was almost unbearable. But the full stage replay works well (and worked for Tour des Alpes-Maritimes too). The app is up to date, v2.323.0 (90286), casting from a Pixel 5 to an Nvidia Shield TV. I’ll send these details to the support email address as well.

cheers,
Daniel.

Ok thanks for the feedback, if you’re casting from an android device like the Pixel then turning your phone off and back on may also help (if you haven’t already done so). I know this sounds pretty much like basic tech support but we do find that with android devices it’s the only way of getting the app to properly force quit and update all of the features.

Just tried turning the phone off and on again. I was hopeful, but no luck I’m afraid :frowning: Oh well I’ve logged the support ticket now, so fingers crossed for a future fix.

Sorry that is a pain, the support team should be able to help - we’re really busy as you can imagine but we are getting back to everyone, thanks so much for your constructive feedback and we hope we can fix this for you really quickly!

1 Like

So far the app has been working well for me on PC and on a Lenovo tab, with one issue; If I stop watching a replay my progress is not saved, and next time I load it up it starts from the beginning. Also, if there is a momentary drop in connectivity with my tablet, the replay just resets from the beginning. Not a huge problem, but definitely annoying.

Otherwise great stuff! :+1:

@Brian_GCN any plans for an Apple TV app?

I never realised it was a global problem, I just put it down to an internet blip. Nice and clear today :+1:

Can I just say how happy I am that I don’t have to provide support for consumer digital content delivery? Apps for iOS (which may or may not include Apple TV depending on the phase of the moon), 3 or 4 versions Android, Android TV, Chromebooks, Shield TV, Roku, Windows via a browser (which ain’t an ‘app’ BTW) could be any of 3 or 4 likely browsers and maybe 3 major versions of windows. Then there is bandwidth question. It is a wonder that any of it works at all.

1 Like

This is something we’ve worked on - it should be fixed in an upcoming update. @bbarrera Apple TV app is being developed yes, the timescale is not certain, but we hope it will be a matter of weeks or a couple of months at most

4 Likes

@Brian_GCN loving the product so far. Is there any plan for an app optimized for iPad?

1 Like

Great to hear! We haven’t got plans to develop the tablet app in the near future, it will come in time - in the mean time the iphone app does function fairly well in Ipad even if it’s not ideal, if you tap for full screen video and tilt to landscape then you should get 1080p video that fills your tablet screen. Alternatively the web player at plus.globalcyclingnetwork.com works pretty well on a tablet.

2 Likes

How about a ROKU app?

3 Likes

Will be quite soon, we’re developing it at the moment for release after we’ve finished Samsung/Android/Firestick apps

How about a Tivo app?

I kid.

Roku would be very nice.

1 Like

Agree, it does - but use Chrome, not Safari. And using the browser in lieu of the app still lets you view video either full screen or do the floating picture-over-picture mode if you want to watch while doing something else.