Anyone considering downgrading to Strava Free Account since the TR Calendar release

I’ll be downgrading to Safety pack only. Yes, I know that Garmin Livetrack already does this(as well as phone app locations and such) and Beacon is based on it, but my wife loves the text message at start and stop and for that reason alone I’ll pay them. But the rest of the features have never been big to me.

1 Like

I know not everybody can do this, but I feel like Strava has given me a lot over the years. I don’t mind paying the subscription to keep it going. I would love to see the platform building up analytics features, which is what many of their most dedicated customers want. I’d also like to see the company be more vocal about advocating for public policy and infrastructure investments that can make cycling safer and more comfortable for more people in more places.

1 Like

I just do it for the vanity of the paid user badge on my picture. Some people drive sports cars, I use paid Strava.

3 Likes

I pay 2.99€ monthly as a summit member.
I like to download routes. I also know there are ways to download for free, but strava is also a good product …
So, for the moment I will not downgrade …

2 Likes

I downgraded Strava when TR launched the power curve and performance analytics.

I’ve never found the need to pay for Strava. I log everything in Garmin Connect and Strava is purely for the social aspect. I don’t live in an area with a ton of KOMs to hunt down and when I travel other places I just look them up see where they start/stop and go from there. Features like how I did on a segment or how I’ve done repeating the same routes are neat, but they’re in the free version. The mobile app is also really limited and has had pretty much zero development (or at least positive development…) in the years I’ve been using it so I haven’t felt like I’ve been missing out on anything. Paying for it certainly wouldn’t do anything to make me faster, like TrainerRoad.

ETA: Maybe I’m missing out on awesome features I don’t know about having never had a subscription, but since I don’t know about them I don’t feel like I’m missing out lol :grinning:.

I reduced my membership level, but I did enjoy the route creating feature. I do a lot of travelling with the bike and the ability to use heat maps to draw me towards heavily traveled routes and create routes in areas that are unfamiliar was really really nice. I might add that feature back in via a la carte this spring.

1 Like

I have been on the free account and really haven’t noticed much difference. If you like looking at things in a bit more detail then I would highly recommend VeloViewer, which has a really nice Explore Squares function which tracks which map squares you have ever visited (and this is strangely addictive.

My Strava premium expires in January and I think I’ll downgrade to the pack that includes the ride comparison feature. It’s the one part of the Strava premium features that I use regularly.

I had a Premium subscription for 3years or so, and liked the Live Segments, and the ride comparison features.

Now I’m using TR over the winter, something had to go, and Strava was it…

Come the TT season, I may pay for the Analysis pack, but I’ll see how TR stacks up for the stats…

If they are basing their business model on KOM hunting which only impacts maybe 1% of their users then it is a bit of a flawed model.

yeah, I see people doing climbing segments 5x faster than me, don’t think TR is going to get me in the top 25% It would be interesting if they had a leaderboard for DFL, but that’s pretty competitive too.

never had a paid account, and I only use my account to upload to TR

1 Like

I stopped paying when i found the Elevate app for Strava. No point paying for the fitness chart when i can get it for free.

TR logs all my TSS, so there’s nothing really that i feel the need to pay for with Strava, that i can’t get elsewhere as part of ongoing memberships (TR for example).

I mainly use Strava to upload photos from my rides and keep up with what my friends on there are doing.

1 Like

Done. Ride analytics are better here

1 Like

Agreed. There are aspects of strava that are valuable for me (automated mileage tracking for maintenance, race recon, heat maps and segments for route planning, and the ability to reach out to similar cyclist when traveling.) Even if the activity feed goes totally Facebook-ish, I don’t need to look at it. Although the way I use it could be done without a subscription, I feel like $24/yr is worth my support.

1 Like

I think strava sucks. I downgraded to to free account years ago when they got rid of google street view. Their user interface has gotten worse and only recently did they add the feature to upload photos from your computer. So lame.

Elevate app (plus donation) is so much better than Strava Premium ever was, and now with calendar you get far superior ride analytics than you did on Premium anyway. All the main segment data still shows up in the free version.

1 Like