Android TR app closes while training, when multitasking

While riding recovery phases, i like to check emails or doing other stuff on my smartphone (android redmi note5+).
Unfortunately, when i switch back to TR APP, i find it’s closed, so i need to do some edit and it’s unpleasant.
Is it an issue related to my smartphone or to TR?

Disable battery optimization for the TR app. This will allow it to stay in memory while using other apps. The procedure is something like this:

  1. From a Home screen, navigate: Apps > Settings > Battery.
  2. Note If unavailable, navigate Arrow icon Arrow icon to display all apps > Settings > Battery.
  3. Tap the Menu icon Menu (located in the upper-right).
  4. Tap Battery optimization.
  5. Tap the “Not optimized” dropdown menu Dropdown menu icon(located at the top).
  6. Tap All apps.
  7. Tap the appropriate app, tap “Don’t optimize” then tap “Done”
1 Like

thank you… unfortunately i didn’t solve :frowning:

Has anything ever come up from this?

I’m running Android 9 and facing the same issue as OP.

After a few minutes of using apps on my phone, unless I focus the TR application, it’ll stop my workout and put me back to my calendar.

The only idea I have is if your OS supports split screen, then have TR open on like 10% of your screen and open your email (or other apps) in the other 90%.

Maybe not enought of RAM?

MIne does the same. If I am “away” from the app for too long doing something else it crashes.

Samsung Galaxy S8


I’m not sure if this is something that we can improve upon through design within our app, or if it is an issue with the Android Operating System itself, but if you could report this to our Support Team we would really appreciate it!

They should be able to look into your crash reports to see what is causing the crash, which should give us some good insights :slight_smile:


1 Like

It happened again this morning.

Where is the log file located on my phone that I can send?

All you need to do is reach out to Support! We can access your Log Files from our end :+1:

That’s awesome.

Thanks for the help. :slightly_smiling_face:

Has there been a resolution to this issue?

It’s been driving me nuts for months. During a workout if I open another app on my phone (without closing the TR app) - to change a song or quickly see an email - often the TR workout ends and auto syncs to TP/Strava.

Are you guys driving the workout / doing data collection in a separate Service or in the UI Activity?

Hey! That’s from UI activity. :+1:

Activities on Android can be killed by the OS (usually when resources are low) if they are not in the foreground. That’s why people who switch away from the Trainer Road app are sometimes having their workout die. You have to make a Service to hold your long-running process.