Am I the only TR user only doing outdoor workouts?

I do them solo once a week usually. In fact I did one today. If I can get outside more often on my flat route I do them any chance it makes sense.

Been doing all TR workouts outdoors for the last 8 weeks except ramp test. Actually skipped the last one and substituted a vo2 workout outside and manual made ftp adjustment. Too nice to be stuck inside. I stay off bike paths because of crowds. I plan routes to avoid stop signs and lights as much as possible and ride routes clockwise so I’m making right hand turns (US) to avoid crossing traffic.

That is the one! Salzberg really seemed like it must be one of the perfect places for cycling, for most off the year. climbs on the door step, but loads of flat roads too. I was definitely planning a trip back.

1 Like

For me exactly this. Although I have access to a dike within 15 minutes where I can blast uninterrupted for 30 km. Sure there is traffic there, but also more than enough space to go around them.

I haven’t done any indoor workouts for 3 months or something. All outside…

Seems like I am not alone. Good to know it’s not an absolute waste to only being doing outdoor rides.

For what’s it worth to anyone. Between my last two 20 minute tests, following HV short power build I went 386 to 390 for 20 minutes. Sadly without any racing to test this one I don’t know if that’ll make me a better race!

I did exactly the same thing.

Well, truth be told I did the first interval of Carpathian Peak +3 indoors with a couple of backpedal breaks, realised I was never going to finish it on the trainer, then did the next 2 intervals outdoors. Just basically aimed to average threshold power and assume that I would indeed naturally be going over and under to some extent…

2 Likes

Being able to maintain constant power is a skill. With practice and repetitions, the mini-spikes (or sometimes not-so-mini) will lessen in amplitude and frequency.

1 Like

Cool.

I found that this workout essentially was quite old school - when translated to outdoors. It works out very close to 3x20min threshold repeats. I liked it a lot.

I tried for quite a while but if you want to stick religiously to your TSS it can be hard. I always ended up riding for longer in order to get to my workout area. Also where I live is pretty flat…

Not to mention traffic lights. I can get there with the power but during intervals I often run up to lights. Not to mention if you’re really into an effort it can get pretty challenging staying in a bike lane when you’re tiring from say a sprint rep.

Indoor allows for much higher quality workouts. I’ve learned that I’d rather just do fun rides and mostly z2 stuff outside. I do enjoy the occasional threshold workout outdoors. I like doing outdoor workouts more this time of year for obvious reasons and with some local trails and gravel roads opening back up I look forward to doing more work outside. For my VO2 Max and higher intervals I prefer to just get it done on the trainer/rollers

1 Like

This has to depend on your the roads you have available. Sure going outdoors riding up and down the same roads at varying points, but it’s still the same interval. That being said, not having done any indoor workouts I can’t fully comment.

I’m all about doing work outside so if it’s effective for you that’s all that matters. Time in zone. If it’s there, it’s good. For me and my local terrain it can be challenging. Since I’m a mountain biker doing work on the terrain I enjoy is just about pointless for getting faster. I can do work on flattish roads, a steady climb, or use the local track but again I’ve learned that if I want a laser focused and effective workout, the trainer trumps all.

Long time mountain biker that started Trainer Road back in October 2019 vowing to not lose fitness over the winter. Did mostly indoor riding until about March when the weather opened up and the trails dried out. I don’t have a power meter, so have to ride outdoor based on RPE. We have lots of 10 to 20 minute, relatively even grade, mountain bike trails here that are prefect for threshold interval repeats. However, I’ve found that for me VO2 max work is better done on trainer so you can hit the repeats on a more predictable basis. I look at those non trail days as a necessary evil to get faster. I’d rather be on dirt any day, but have seen a nice FTP boost over the last 6 months.

1 Like

The team has built a quality product, but the idea of holding a power on the roads near me is just not going to happen.
It’s a great principle, and I can understand why the team are so proud of it, but it isn’t pracrical for me, sadly. Which is a shame, as the idea of riding outside for my workouts really is excellent.

Definitely you have to be fortunate enough to live in the right kind of location. I imagine if in the middle of a massive city it would be difficult. However, even in London with some a bit of jiggery pokery I found it’s possible to get most of the work done. Does require at least some sort of loop though you can ride endlessly around, which I guess is then not much different to be on a trainer in the end.

1 Like

I rarely ride indoors. Probably get more hang for your time inside but if you can ride outside its way more fun lol

Yes you are alone.

I’d love to do more of my workouts outside, I get kind of stressed about not being as efficient as on the trainer, but I also think well whats the point of getting fitter and faster if you’re not going to go out and use it.

I’d say 99% of my rides since October have been indoors but done 2hr Z2 outside yesterday and enjoyed it although ended up almost 15mins either Z1 or coasting, but…it was more fun!

Have people had better or worse experience with outdoor rides on specific plans. I’ve got a pretty long block of time (6+ weeks) where I will have my bike but not my trainer. I’m scheduled to do general power build MV the first 4 weeks. But I’m wondering how hard it will be to do the short intervals/sprints. I will be in a place with little traffic and no traffic lights. So more sustained efforts are doable. Should I switch to a base period or just do the best I can on general power build?