Alternatives to Tour de France on Peacock in USA

I’m with you on the studio guys.
Tejay van Garderen looks (in his ill fitting suit) and talks like a kid who’s been brought in by his Dad for “take your kid to work” day

1 Like

This!. I’m always amazed at how I get to the end of his Faulkner-like sentences and I’m left scratching my head for meaning.

If you can even understand him, mumbling with his mouth full of marbles. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Yes, well …

2 Likes

yeah the 3 of them are bad but man that one is the worst by a wide margin

This morning I’m using a VPN and watching the ITV broadcast with Ned Boulting and David Millar. After years of listening to the Never Strays Far and before that the ITV Cycling podcasts it’s nice to hear them actually announce a race. Drawback is that ITV has as much if not more commercials than Peacock.

1 Like

I’m with you. All the dunking on Phil and Bob seems rather nasty. Do I prefer the Eurosport presenters? Yeah, but the commentary is the least bad part of the Peacock stream. First, I’m paying for an “ad-free” level of service and yet I’m still seeing dumbass ads every few minutes. But the real killer of Peacock for me is that they keep showing all this other crap other than the race feed. I mean why the f___ would you show the talking suits blathering in the studio during the race?! If you’re going to show an interview or a smaltzy vignette, why not use a split screen so we can still see race?! Someone really needs to find the Peacock asshat who’s producing this nonsense and beat him upside the head until he understands this isn’t an NFL game.

8 Likes

this. i watch only the replays so i don’t see any of the ads other than the tdf promos and the feed promos, but man there’s a big difference between eurosport coverage (i watched the giro on max this year) and peacock’s tdf coverage. eurosport shows literally every pedal stroke in the race, whether they’re talking or not. peacock seems hell bent to show everything OTHER the race. embedded ads for despicable me, kung fu panda, some peacock tdf blog, loooong cuts to the studio mid race, cuts to steve perino (who’s good, it’s just the point), on and on. oh yeah and here’s some race coverage to go along with all this crap.

the thing is, they’ve been doing this this exact way for as long as i’ve been watching, whether it’s on nbc or wherever, so until/unless their viewership drops (which they’ll probably blame on the sport itself), they’ll never change.

1 Like

Steve Perino :+1:

3 Likes

yeah he’s great. the point is though is that this coverage seems to be made for people who don’t like cycling coverage. i wish i could take the eurosport feed, put phil and bob and sean kelly together, fire everyone else and have them broadcast every grand tour. maybe alternate cvdv and adam blythe on the bike, keep steve perino and be done with it. fire everyone (eurosport and peacock) involved with studio stuff. oh and give that kite skiing guy a job as a sideline reporter at the start and finish

1 Like

I’d never watch cycling again…

3 Likes

Why is this surprising? This is exactly NBC Olympic coverage: don’t show the actual events, show human interest stories instead

2 Likes

yep it’s a good point except for the streaming coverage of just the events, it’s purely just the events. so if i want to watch the women’s weightlifting channel, they show JUST that, including 20-30 minutes of coverage of the countdown timer before the competition. no commentary, no human interest stuff, no nothing. just the camera on the athletes until it’s done. so it is kind of surprising in that they have my money, just give me my coverage man, and save a LOT of payroll in the process

My wife turned on the NBC coverage saying it would help me recover from a bad night, and it just made me more determined to get out of bed to get the remote to turn it off.

The ‘commentary’, and the endless march of worthless meaningless inane commercials was just too much.

There should be a source on the internet to see the ‘raw’ feeds. I wonder if it’s on the big satellite dish somewhere?

I love Perino’s enthusiasm/knowledge, and he’s as good as any other commentator.

1 Like

Perino is a former US Ski Team member, and he has learned a lot about cycling!

Cycling and color commentary :rofl:

:beer:

1 Like

Did anyone else just catch that F-bomb? :joy:

1 Like

I wish they could add more commercials…said no one, ever.

2 Likes

anyone else have issues accessing SBS through a vpn in the US? i’ve been using PIA for my vpn but they seem to be iffy as today i wasn’t able to access the AU stream saying i was outside of the area.