Air-Travel with Smart trainer - any advise?

Hey folks!

I have to travel to egypt because of my job and will stay there for almost four weeks. I really don’t want to cancel my training in that time. I am thinking about taking my bike and my smarttrainer with me. First questions: Would you do that or not? (There is no real option of stationary-workout-bikes at the place where I’ll stay.)

Second question: Did you ever air-traveled with a smart-trainer? Did you put it in a box or a bag? (i got the wahoo kickr core)

Best regards from Germany
Tilo

1 Like

Original packaging is usually the best. Put it in oversize luggage, job done.

The last extended relocation I had was three months. I purchased a Kickr when I arrived and sold it a few days before leaving. It held value well.

2 Likes

I traveled from France to Spain with the Kickr. No problem at all. Just pack it in its box if you still have it, and protect it with some bubble paper. Should stay until 23kgs (limit for a regular luggage). I also tapped the box so no one knew what was inside to avoid to have to check it as a sport extra equipment.

2 Likes

Bit late, but did you get through egypt with your smart trainer?

Yes no problem! Came to Cairo by plane and it’s no problem at all.

1 Like

yeah, it’s a heavy brick. You need to ship via DHL/Fedex in original packaging. That or just buy one and sell it. QUBO POWER MAG SMART B+

You can toss it in a luggage bag, but you’ll hit the weight limit on that bag pretty quickly - you’d probably be paying $100/bag each way. Maybe there’s a bike shop / cyclist in town you can arrange a trainer rental for that period. Or

Maybe rollers would work better for you.

Just to throwing out there… the feedback omnium is a solid choice for a roller style trainer, assuming you have power on your bike. You can fit it in any luggage and might not even go over the weight limit.